The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Group Product Manager
- The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced and collaborative Group Product Manager to lead teams in creating user experiences that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
- This role is responsible for guiding teams focused on newcomers’ experiences and feature platforms. They will work cross-functionally to support these areas.
- The Wikimedia Foundation values diversity and recognizes that employees from a broad range of perspectives are essential to creating a knowledge source that benefits everyone. We are committed to inclusion, diversifying tech, and advocating for diversity in our employees, their experiences, and the people we serve.
- Group Product Managers support their Product Manager teams and work with researchers, engineers, product managers and designers to set strategic direction. This is an opportunity to ‘do good’ while having a high level of impact at a large-scale media property.
You will be responsible for:
- Setting the vision and product direction for our new user experiences
- Setting the vision and helping teams transition to creating feature-sets that feed contributor and consumer experiences
- Partnering closely with other directors whose team initiatives intersect your domain
- Managing, mentoring and advocating for a team of Product Managers, especially regarding the strategic use of data and community interactions
- Partnering with PMs to develop potential new product directions that emerge from within the specific contexts in which they work
- Defining and tracking key performance metrics for strategic product areas and connecting these metrics to overall Foundation goals
- Partnering with Program Management to manage communications for your area among the product teams and the broader cross-functional organization to ensure stakeholder alignment
- Working closely with Wikipedia and other project community members as part of product development
- Equipping direct reports with the perspective and information they need to collaborate effectively with volunteers from across the Movement
- Creating the conditions for direct reports to collaborate effectively/align their work with other teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, or the equivalent in relevant work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in Product Management
- Experience managing or mentoring Product Managers
- Experience developing products in a strong community setting
- Experience with new user growth
- Robust analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills with the ability to deliver on detail as well as strategy
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively and develop effective working relationships with all levels of management, staff and communities, including non-technical staff
- Capable of managing a diverse range of responsibilities in a dynamic and results-oriented environment. Must be comfortable with evolving requirements and priorities.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Have excellent relationship building and persuasion skills
- Have internal motivation and high standards
- Share in a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Alignment with our mission and values
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Be open, curious, and inquiring
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
Additionally, we would love it if you have:
- Experience editing Wikipedia or with the Wikipedia, Wikidata, or Wikimedia Commons communities or other collaborative enterprises
- Open source software development experience
- Familiarity with MediaWiki
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online