Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Organisational Performance
Reports to: Executive Director – Delivery, Performance & Accountability
Department: Delivery, Performance & Accountability
Contract Duration: Permanent
- The person will play a key role in providing the organization planning and performance framework and bringing together key insights to inform Plan International’s global five-year strategy implementation and setting standards and driving organizational solutions, across Plan International Inc. – Country Offices, Regional and Global Hub – towards further progress towards our strategic ambition.
Key Accountabilities and Main Responsibilities
- Develop and implement global process frameworks (guidance, standard, tools, templates, roles/ responsibilities, oversight, governance, etc.) for business planning, performance and reporting across Plan International Inc – Country Offices, Regional and Global Hub.
- Partner with the Leadership Team and relevant Executive Directors to ensure priorities and objectives are comprehensively addressed, focused on impact, managing demands and workload and limiting overlap and duplications and gaps
- Ensure key performance indicators and relevant metrics and targets are set and agreed, across PII, with clear accountabilities and ownership for metrics and reporting
- Lead on analysis of performance and results against performance metrics, drawing out findings, conclusions, and recommendations to facilitate organization wide view and decision making by the LT towards a way forward.
- Work with Executive Directors and their senior team to ensure that both the content and the spirit of the global strategy and annual plans are being implemented effectively and meeting agreed performance metrics, working with Executive Directors in removing any barriers to implementation and improve performance and delivery of results. Accountable for:
- Working with the Director of Organisational Effectiveness, prioritize actions and solutions to identified barriers to good performance in PII. This may involve leading independently or working effectively with global operational and functional leaders on key initiatives to respond to CO needs.
- Partnering with Executive Directors to ensure timely information on performance, issues, challenges and opportunities are brought to their attention and addressed. Setting accountability plans i.e. standards, actions planning, timelines and KPIs in agreement with accountable business areas, and monitor and report progress results of actions to the Leadership team
- Resourcing initiatives, putting in place a system to support demand and supply of Disaster
- Risk Management and other technical and functional resources to support the needs of COs to deliver on their ambition
- Facilitating organizational learning (helping the organization to understand what is working well and what needs strengthening to deliver greater impact for girls);
Financial Year 2022 Priorities Include, but not Limited to:
- Developing the results framework and strategic dashboard to accompany the revised global strategy.
- Embed a revised performance management approach and set of indicators to enable effective performance management from COs, to RHs and GH.
- Working across functions to ensure quality, relevant and timely data is available to support management discussions and actions.
- Streamline reporting processes to reduce duplication whilst meeting the reporting needs of various stakeholder groups, including governors.
- Lead the annual planning process for FY23, helping set global priorities for the first year of the revised global strategy, enabling alignment across all PI.
- Embed a deployment management system with supporting processes across PI to enable timely deployments to COs based on demand.
External / Internal Interactions
- Working with Executive Directors of the Leadership Team and Directors of Sub-Regions
- Partnership with functional and operational leaders of the global functions and processes, across Global Hub and Regional Hubs and National Organisations, where necessary
- Planning and performance networks, development & humanitarian networks outside the organisation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Significant professional expertise in developing, implementing and embedding planning cycles performance reporting and strategic decision making, in a global large geographically dispersed, complex organization
- In depth knowledge and experience of cross organisational change management
- Strong skills in influencing, stakeholder management and negotiation at senior leadership level. Highly collaborative and approachable team member with strong soft skill and ability to lead through influence
- Experience facilitating groups to create workplans and reach alignment on decisions
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability
- Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment across multiple projects and work streams with competing time/resource demands
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Values Based Leadership Behaviours – Strategic Leadership Level Competencies:
- I drive progress in my area of responsibility by setting and communicating an ambitious but realistic strategy, aligned with Plan International’s short and longer term priorities and appropriately resourced.
- I ensure effective delivery by leading through others, working closely with our support functions, keeping abreast of what is going on in my own business unit or function and responding quickly if problems arise.
- I build strategic relationships with key leaders, experts and stakeholders across the Plan International federation and externally, navigating political and power interests and negotiating positive outcomes.
- These behaviors are specifically aligned to feminist leadership principles.
- I make timely decisions, even in uncertainty and when information is imperfect. I manage opportunities and risks and adjust actions as situations unfold and we learn more.
- I grow the professional and leadership capabilities we will need in future by developing the skills and potential of our workforce and I coach those I lead to act in turn as developers of other people.
- I use my own behavior to role model the culture change we need, upholding our values and accelerating progress towards gender equality inside Plan International, with our partners and in wider society.
- I communicate clearly and persuasively with large and diverse groups of people, giving them the understanding and motivation to succeed and involving all staff in reflection, innovation and improvement.
Business and Management Competencies:
- Organisational understanding – Purpose, priorities, values and approaches
- Business processes, policies, practices and standards
- Managing resources and finance
- Formal people management
- Managing risk
- Managing technology and digital working
- Project management
External / Internal Interactions:
- Budget held: TBD
- Number of reports: four reports with three direct reports
- Locations: largely desk based but will require frequent interaction with individuals and teams from around the organisation.
- Expected to work outside standard office hours, at short notice, in the case of sudden onset emergencies or for business critical needs.
External / Internal Interactions:
- Low contact: no contact or very low frequency of interaction.
Deadline: Monday, 30th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online