The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Consultant (Human Health Sector) for the Development of a National Antimicrobial Stewardship Plan for Nigeria
Reference No.: R1265
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employment Type: Part-time
- The general objective is to develop a national antimicrobial stewardship plan in the human health sector.
Specific objectives are to:
- Conduct a rapid situational analysis of the use of antimicrobials in the human health sector;
- Suggest lines of action and follow-up to deal with the main problems identified ;
- Develop and validate a national antimicrobial stewardship plan based on the results of the rapid situational analysis.
- Carry out a rapid situational analysis of the regulation and control of the use of antimicrobials in the human health sector ;
- Identify the main actors involved in the use of antimicrobials in human health sector as well as their roles and responsibilities ;
Activities and Tasks
Development of the methodology:
- The USAID MTaPS program would provide the consultant with a basic methodology for review and amendment in the context of the assessment in the human health sector. The review and amendment should reflect the necessary steps in alignment with best practices as appropriate to accomplish drafting of a national action plan that would guide responsible antimicrobial stewardship in the country.
- The consultant will propose a detailed time table clearly indicating the different stages of the process as well as the dates for submitting the deliverables.
- The validation of the methodology will mark the effective start of this assignment.
Data Research, Collection and Analysis:
- The consultant will take cognizance of the existing documentation in the human health sector at national and international level and relating in particular to:
- Legislative, regulatory, normative and institutional frameworks,
- Organizational and technical arrangements,
- Key stakeholders mapping,
- National and international commitments made by Nigeria. This information will be supplemented by data that it will collect from the main players.
Development of the National Antimicrobial Stewardship Plan:
- Based on the results of the rapid situational analysis, the consultant will identify and facilitate the process of developing a national antimicrobial stewardship plan in concert with the animal health consultant engaged by MTaPS to lead the rapid situational analysis in the animal health sector.
- The national antimicrobial stewardship plan would detail the actions to be implemented over the next few years in order to stimulate and sustainably support the adoption of good practices in the rational use of antimicrobials in human and animal health.
- This plan will integrate multisectoral actions (institutional, technical / technological, capacity building, communication, partnership development, etc.) and will specify the realistic objectives to be achieved in the medium term, the actions to be implemented, the implementing actors, the costs of the actions and of the plan, the sources of financing, the implementation schedule, the monitoring – evaluation indicators, the institutional mechanism for coordinating the implementation and monitoring.
- At the end of the preparation of the draft antimicrobial stewardship plan, validation workshops will be organized by the AMR TWG Secretariat with the support of USAID’s MTaPS Program, facilitated by the human and animal health consultants, and will allow stakeholders to enrich the document.
Preparation and Facilitation of Workshops:
- As part of the preparation of the various workshops, validation workshop of the preliminary evaluation report and the antimicrobial stewardship plan validation workshop, the consultant will develop and propose to the AMR TWG Secretariat, the TORs, the agenda, the indicative list of participants and the presentations which will be validated by the AMR TWG secretariat. Likewise, the various workshop facilitation tools will be validated by AMR TWG secretariat and MTaPS before each of these workshops is held.
- At the end of the assessment, the consultant must provide a final report to the AMR TWG Secretariat and MTaPS within ten (10) days about the rapid situational assessment in the human health and animal health sectors and a draft national antimicrobial stewardship plan in concert with the animal health sector consultant that carried out the rapid situation analysis in animal health sector. Thus, the main expected results of the consultancy are as follows:
- The situational analysis of the use of antimicrobials in the human health sectors is carried out;
- The situational analysis of the regulation and control of antimicrobials in the human health sectors is carried out;
- Recommendations relating to management, regulation and control of antimicrobials are formulated
- The lines of intervention to deal with the main problems identified are defined;
- A national antimicrobial stewardship plan based on the results of the assessment is drawn up.
Preferred Qualifications / Experiences
- Hold a minimum of Bachelor of Pharmacy Degree or related Medical Sciences Degree
- A Degree in Public Health, Health Economics and / or Microbiology would be an asset
- Justify a professional experience of at least ten (10) years in the pharmaceutical regulatory field
- Have carried out at least one assessment study related to the pharmaceutical supply chain management in Nigeria
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of the “One Health” approach and in the field of the fight against antimicrobial resistance
- Have a good knowledge of the field (actors involved in the management of antimicrobials, the structuring of the medical and pharmaceutical sector in Nigeria and of the regulatory framework in the veterinary sector
- Have experience in the development of an integrated multisectoral human health, animal health and environmental health plan
- A good knowledge of the human health system and the functioning of the pharmaceutical statutory bodies would be an asset
In Addition to the Above, the Preferred Expert must also Have Capacities in the Following Areas:
- Provide consultancy references if possible
- Have the ability to work under pressure, in a team and produce quality results within the prescribed deadlines;
- Have a sense of contact and interpersonal communication.
- Have skills in facilitating workshops;
- Have the ability to write quality reports;
- Have a good command of the English language;
- Have a perfect command of computer tools, in particular Windows or Mac and MS-Office environments.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online