Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action, helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Resilience & Conflict Mitigation Technical Advisor
Location: Damaturu, Yobe with travels to Potiskum
Position Status: Full-time regular employee
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Resilience & Conflict Mitigation Tech Advisor will provide technical, operational, and strategic vision to the implementation of the resilience and conflict mitigation component by working with the project staff, national partners, to ensure that the program meets performance-based targets on time and within budget, as per Mercy Corps and donor requirements.
- He/she will coordinate conflict management and reconciliation programming through the building of community trust in the ability of the Local and State Government to address the root causes of youth participation in violence in Yobe state.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in the implementation and management of innovative Resilience & Conflict Mitigation initiatives aligned to the Program logical framework and project impact goal.
- Provide sector oversight and guidance in the implementation of Resilience & Conflict Mitigation activities aligned with the project log frame and budget.
- Work with Consortium Partners and other implementing partners on the Resilience & Conflict Mitigation component of the project.
- Build the technical capacity of project staff in Resilience & Conflict Mitigation skills that are relevant to the implementation of the project through training and continuous mentorship.
- Submit a clear capacity-building plan for this process.
- Conduct periodic field visits to ensure the quality and integrity of project implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines.
- Provide technical and sector inputs to/ during planning, organizing and coordination of project monitoring processes, assessments, surveys, research and evaluations.
- Support the Field Manager in ensuring that the overall goal and specific objectives to the conflict management and reconciliation component of the project are achieved.
- Develop a detailed activity plan for the Resilience & Conflict Mitigation component and submit it to the field manager for review and re-alignment with the main work plan within the first month of employment.
- Compile and submit in time for review; evidence-based weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual technical reports and activity plans
- Develop and submit weekly and monthly activity plans in time for review and prior to implementation.
- Ensure integration and coordination with other components within the project for the attainment of holistic project impact.
- Sustain a work environment of mutual respect you and other team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide other team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to the project implementation.
- Draft and /or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Proactively form relationships implementing partners to complement donor funding.
- Represent Program on Conflict Management and Reconciliation issues at technical and strategic planning meetings, or as requested by the Project Manager.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that you together with the team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s Degree or it’s equivalent in Conflict Management, Peace and Conflict Studies, International Relations, Social Sciences or another relevant field. (minimum Bachelor’s Degree)
- Minimum of Five (5) years working experience in a similar context.
- Strong management skills, with a good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues in a highly insecure environment.
- Experience working in Yobe state will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Demonstrated experience working with State-level ministries and Local Government Area government officials.
- Willingness to learn and interest in conflict, governance, peace, economic and community development-related fields.
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted documents.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Experience in an NGO (local or international) or research institution.
- Commitment to achieving results in a timely manner
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong communication skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Gender equity and protection-sensitive
- Creative solutions to problems
- Trustworthiness and integrity
- Committed to humanitarian and development values and principles
- Strong people-management skills
- S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative and complex programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem-solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Damaturu, Yobe State and it requires up to 40% travel to field offices in and around Potiskum.
Deadline: 31st August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
- In your statement, you are encouraged to discuss any relevant experience and demonstrate your interest. Your application will be reviewed by the Mercy Corps team and shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly for interviews.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.