The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Policy Expert (Fishery and Aquaculture – First Programme)
Vacancy ID: 2102051
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organizational Unit: NFI
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant
Duration: 11 months
- The Food and Nutrition Security Impact, Resilience, Sustainability and Transformation (FIRST) is a FAO and the European Union partnership programme with the purpose of providing a policy assistance mechanism for improved food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture.
- FIRST is designed to strengthen the enabling environment for food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture in a number of selected priority countries.
- FIRST is embedded within the FAO’s programme management and coordination structure. FIRST is operational in over 20 countries across Asia, Africa, Middle East and Latin America. In the ECOWAS region, the FIRST programme focuses on promoting a sustainable Blue Economy based on the rational use of natural marine and continental aquatic resources in West Africa, whilst ensuring that aqua-food systems are gender equitable and youth inclusive.
- The Senior Policy Expert (Fishery and Aquaculture, FIRST Programme) works under the overall technical guidance of Senior Fishery Officer (FAO Regional Office for Africa – RAF) and works in close collaboration with Fishery and Aquaculture team based at headquarters (NFI).
- The Senior Policy Expert works under the guidance of the ECOWAS Commission Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development (D/ARD), in close collaboration with the UEMOA Commission, the FAO Regional/Sub-regional offices, the EU Regional Delegation in Abuja and Ouagadougou, (sub)-regional fisheries bodies (RFBs) in ECOWAS area, African Union, and other relevant stakeholders in the ECOWAS member states (Governments counterparts).
- The Senior Policy Expert (Fishery and Aquaculture, FIRST Programme) reports to the Senior Fishery Officer (FAO Regional Office for Africa) and on technical issues to the FIRST Manager.
- Development and implementation of coherent, integrated and effective policy assistance, capacity development and governance for achieving food and nutrition security and sustainable fisheries and aquaculture in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework and in response to policy assistance needs and demands at country and subregional levels.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead the work of FIRST in supporting the transformation of aqua-food systems along the three dimensions of sustainability (economic, social, environmental) to accelerate progress towards SDG2 in West Africa.
- Provide technical and policy advice and support in relation to fisheries and aquaculture to the ECOWAS Commission to accelerate and maximize regional food and nutrition security impact, resilience, sustainability under the ECOWAS Comprehensive Strategic Framework for Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture Development (CSFS-FAD) within the ECOWAP/CAADP framework;
- Oversee the development of awareness raising, information and capacity development materials on regional fisheries and aquaculture issues, including on-line tools and information kit;
- Organize international/inter-governmental meetings and conferences and provide short-term policy and technical assistance in other ECOWAS technical partners (including regional Non-State Actors) as part of the FIRST expert network;
- Promote strategic partnerships, best practices, and increased policy dialogue and develop and negotiate effective synergetic and complementary working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national partners within the regional integration approaches and schemes;
- Support existing coordination structures within ECOWAS in the coherent formulation and implementation of projects and programmes in the Fisheries and Aquaculture sector (e.g. PESCAO).
- Plan, organize and participate in capacity development activities as endorsed by the ECOWAS Commission, including the provision of advice and technical assistance, training workshops, seminars, and meetings;
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates will be Accessed Against the Following
- University Degree in Fisheries, Aquaculture, Economics or Marine affairs with a specialization in fisheries policy, management and/or governance or other field related to fisheries and aquaculture. Advanced University Degree will be considered a strong asset.
- Relevant experience in fisheries management, aquaculture production, fishery policy analysis, including policy assistance and capacity development or related field:
- Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement) level B: at least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement) level A: at least 12 years of relevant experience.
- Working knowledge of French and at least limited knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering
- Strong Communications Skills
- Partnering and Advocating
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strategic Thinking
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
- Extent and relevance of experience and/or knowledge in fisheries and aquaculture including related areas which may include fisheries policy, management, governance and international relations in development or international organizations.
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of programmes in fisheries and aquaculture or related areas.
- In depth understanding of the role of development and international organizations with competence in fisheries and aquaculture.
Deadline: 24th August, 2021; 10:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- If you are in possession of language certificate/s from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT), please attach the certificate/s when submitting the application.
- Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO is a non-smoking environment
- Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device