Lagos State University (LASU) was established in 1983 by the Enabling Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, for the advancement of learning and establishment of academic excellence. The University, which took off with three (3) Faculties – Law and Humanities, Education and Science – has grown to become a citadel of repute with high standards. The University caters for a student population of over 20,000, enrolled in full-time and part-time programmes at the Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Levels.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
- In consonance with the relevant provisions of the Lagos State University Law 2004 and 2015 [as amended], the Governing Council hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates for the appointment of the 9th substantive Vice-Chancellor Lagos State University.
The Lagos State University Law 2004 and 2015 [as amended] provides that the Vice-Chancellor shall:
- Exercise general supervision over the University, in addition to other functions conferred or imposed on him by this Law or any other enactments subject to the approval of the Council;
- Have a general responsibility to the Council for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the University;
- Ensure that the provisions of the Law, Ordinances and Regulations are observed;
- Be a member of Council;
- Be the Chairman of the University Senate, which is the highest decision-making body for all academic matters [i.e. student admissions, examinations and graduation, the establishment of new academic programmes, etc.] in the University; and
- Have responsibility for maintaining discipline in the University.
- The job demands a person who can harness meagre financial resources to full effect in running the University And who is able to attract grants from financing bodies, especially international donor agencies.
- The candidate should be able to cope adequately with varying needs of staff and students as wet as emerging contemporary problems, especially those that are related to social life of students in an increasingly dynamic and urban University.
- The Vice Chancellor is a Principal Officer as well as the Chief Executive Officer Chief Academic Officer And Chief Image Maker of the University
- The Vice Chancellor will, therefore, be expected to have a deep understanding of the terrain, operations of the University as well as provide strategic vision and leadership to propel Lagos State University as a foremost University in Nigeria, with world-wide recognition.
- The Vice Chancellor will have to play a pivotal role in taking Lagos State University to higher pedestal in the 21st Century.
- It will be the duty of the Vice Chancellor to ensure that standard does no fall in ALL academic programmes, especially in programmes in which the University is highly reputed and that relatively new programmes attain enviable standards, such that accreditation granted to academic programmes are sustained.
- The Vice Chancellor must be a proven and successful manager of human and material resources.
The criteria to be met by candidates for the post of Vice Chancellor, Lagos State University are that each candidate:
- Must be a distinguished scholar of the rank of a full Professor of at least Ten (10) years standing as at the date of this publication with Fifteen (15) years of teaching and research experience in the university system;
- Must possess an Academic Doctorate (PhD) Degree or Doctor of Medicine (MD); and may have supervised PhD students (Not Mandatory).
- Possession of a Post-graduate Medical Fellowship is acceptable.
- Must have a proven track record of university administration and management as well as proven evidence of leadership quality;
- Must have national and international exposure beyond academics and must be a distinguished world-class personality;
- Must be a goal-getter and must see fund-raising as a major strategy for sustaining the autonomy of the University;
- Must have good grasp of Information and Communication Technology skills and appreciate its significance in the contemporary knowledge industry and the ICT driven society;
- Must possess the ability to sustain harmony between Council, other organs of the university administration, staff and students on one hand and between the university and the host communities on the other hand;
- Must demonstrate capacity and requisite skills to lead and inspire principal officers, senior management staff and other staff at all levels to realize the core objectives and mandates of the University;
- Must be a very resourceful personality with initiative, vision and drive for sustaining the accelerated pace of development of the University;
- Must be a strategic thinker with passion and zeal for excellence, creativity and innovation in higher education;
- Must enjoy excellent physical and mental health, with verifiable certificates to that effect;
- Must command high respect of his/her colleagues and be grounded in the finest academic tradition;
- Must be a visionary leader capable of sustaining University prominence in the 1st century;
- Must be morally upright and of impeccable rectitude;
- Must not be above sixty-five (65) years of age on assumption of duty as the 9th substantive Vice Chancellor, if appointed.
- The Vice Chancellor shall hold office for a Single Term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice Chancellor in Nigerian Universities and as may be determined from time to time by the Government / Governing Council, as appropriate.
Deadline: 3rd September, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit Fifteen (15) copies of their Application accompanied with detailed recent Curriculum Vitae (CV), providing information on the following:
- Full Name.
- Place and Date of Birth.
- Marital Status, Number and Ages of Children.
- Academic qualifications with dates (degree with classes; copies of certificates to be enclosed).
- University Teaching and Research Experience, University Administrative, Managerial and Leadership Experience with dates.
- Academic distinctions viz:
- Grants, awards and scholarships;
- PhD candidate supervision;
- Recognition by national and international professional bodies/fellowships.
- Membership of Academic AND Professional Bodies. Scholarly Publications (well referenced and listed in chronological order)
- Vision for the University in the next five (5) years [NOT more than 5,000 words or a minimum of 1000 words].
- Contribution to University and funds attracted through donations and endowments.
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) referees who should be able to attest to the candidates standing and abilities academically and managerially, as well as morals, character and integrity. Each referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward, directly to the Acting Registrar, a confidential report, in a properly sealed envelope marked “Reference / Post of Vice Chancellor” at the top left hand corner of the envelope, to reach the Acting Registrar on or before the, deadline for submission of application.
All applications are to be submitted under Confidential Cover, with the envelope marked “Post of Vice Chancellor, LASU” sealed AND addressed to:
The Pro Chancellor AND Chairman, Governing Council,
Lagos State University,
P. M. B. 0001, LASU Post Office,
Lagos – Badagry Expressway,
Ojo, Lagos State.
The Acting Registrar AND Secretary to Council,
Registrar’s Office, 5th Floor,
Babatunde Raji Fashola Senate Building,
Lagos State University, Ojo.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to make themselves available for interview before the Joint Council and Senate Selection Committee at a Date that will be duly AND formally conveyed to such candidates in writing.
- Please note that only candidates who satisfy ALL the above criteria will be shortlisted and contacted for the next stage of the appointment process.