Osun State University (UMOSUN) was established by the Osun State University (Establishment) Law of 2006. The University commenced academic activities simultaneously on the permanent sites of its six campuses located in the six geo-political zones of Osun State on 22nd September. 2007. The campuses are located in Osogbo, (Main Campus), Ejigbo, Ifetedo, Ikire, Ipetu-Ijesa and Okuku.
Osun State University has the vision of becoming the biggest and the best University in Nigeria in the nearest future and has the goal of developing into a world class institution of learning, given its multi-campus nature and its rapid expansion in the short period of its existence.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and academic head of the University. The Candidate shall be the chief exponent of the educational mission of the university and the Candidate office serves as the nerve centre of activities in areas of protol, external relations and coordination of various internal organs. The Vice- Chancellor sees to the day-to-day administration of the university and the Candidate shall ensure that the goals of the university are met. The Candidate is responsible to the Governing Council for the management of the human, monetary and material resources of the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor exercises general superintendence over the University and is responsible to the Governing Council for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the university. It is the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to see that the provisions of law, the Statutes, the Ordinances and the Regulations of the university are observed and the Candidate may exercise such powers as may be necessary or expedient for that purpose. The Vice-Chancellor must therefore be competent at all times to advise Governing Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor is, by virtue of the Candidate office, a member of the University Governing Council, Chairman of Senate, Chairman of the Congregation, Member of College/Faculties and any other authorities of the University set up by Statute and of any Board or Committee appointed by any of those bodies.
- The success of the Candidate job will depend on the Candidate ability to lead, motivate and inspire administrative associations, academic and non-academic staff as well as students and all other stakeholders to work towards the central purpose of the University to advance learning and enhance talent.
The Osun State University is a fast-paced institution with the target of reaching high ranking in the global comity of Universities. The last four and half years have witnessed transformative changes, with the foundation to achieve this global feat being laid, and which effort must be sustained and consolidated to ensure that we give the Government and people of the State the type of University that the founding fathers desire.
The University is noted for her zero tolerance for corruption, any form of harassment and other vices that tend to plague many higher institutions. It is therefore, imperative that the Vice-Chancellor has the moral wherewithal to lead the University in this direction. The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor of the University must be a distinguished scholar with outstanding academic and administrative records. The Candidate must be a proven manager of human, financial and material resources.
Any interested candidate must therefore, meet and provide verifiable evidence of the following under-listed Specific Requirements before submitting an application:
- Possess a Doctorate Degree from a recognized university, and be a full Professor of not less than Ten (10) years standing in a recognized university, at the closing date for the submission of application, with ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for the University community.
- Possess a proven track record of academic excellence such as to be able to command the respect of national and international academic communities and colleagues:
- Candidate must have published research (journal) articles with some of the articles published in high impact journals as defined by Thomson Reuters ISI and Web of Science;
- Candidate must demonstrate consistent academic productivity at Professorial level by publishing some research articles in the last three years in high impact journals as defined by Thomson Reuters SI and Web of Science.
- Possess a proven and demonstrable ability to attract international research and development grants: the Candidate must present evidence of winning and leading some locally and internationally funded research with evidence of achievements through me funded research.
- Candidate must provide evidence of successful international engagement and strong international network in academic, research and development programmes.
- Candidate must have a Research Gate score of Scholar h-index and some citation.
- Candidate must have attended and presented research papers in at least 20 international conferences.
- Possess a clear vision for the further development of the University and realization of its vision, mission and strategic goals.
- Have a demonstrable ability to establish and maintain partnership with local, national and international governmental and non-governmental agencies and organizations;
- Exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra statutory funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University;
- Possess personal integrity in the management of funds and be able to deploy financial resources as appropriate in the context of the University’s 20 years Strategic Plan, 2017 – 2036. Candidate must demonstrate commitment to accountability, strength of character and transparency;
- Evidence of ethical and transparent leadership style at local and international levels.
- Proven ability as a problem-solving leader with special ability to recommend immediate and long-term solution-based strategies to the Governing Council, Senate and the university community, and deliver results;
- Ability to lead an intelligent management that will be able to advise the Governing Council and Senate on issues of financial planning, forecasting, and policy;
- Exceptional communication, organizational and interpersonal skills to foster effective relationship with a range of local, national and international stakeholders;
- Demonstrate ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff in all categories, teaching and non- teaching;
- Demonstrate interpersonal and team building skills and possess the ability to build bridges between staff, students, other members of the university community and the university’s stakeholders including the State and Local Governments in Osun;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to oversee multiple projects simultaneously with a focus on clarity, details, and deadlines;
- Ability to foster team building, promote professionalism and build leadership capacity of both staff and students:
- Demonstrate respectable level of ICT literacy
- Enjoy excellent physical and mental health
- Should not be older than sixty-five (65) years as at 05 November, 2021.
- Note: Each of these objectively verifiable requirements shall be quantitatively scored in the selection process.
- Candidates found lobbying to influence the outcome of the selection process shall be disqualified from the selection process
- Shortlisted candidates may be subjected to Computer Based Test (CBT).
Tenure of Office and Terms of Appointment
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a term of five (5) years, and shall not be eligible for re-appointment. The Candidate terms and conditions of service shall be embodied in a contract under the seal of the University.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service shall be as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Nigerian Federal universities and/or as may be determined by the Government of the State of Osun and the Governing Council of Osun State University from time to time.
Deadline: 30th August, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are required to submit thirty-five (35) copies of their Curriculum Vitae, certificates and other relevant credentials which should contain among other things:
- Name in full (Surname first in block letters)
- Date and Place of Birth
- State of Origin
- Permanent home address
- Present Postal Address
- Phone Number(s) and e-mail address
- Marital Status
- Number and ages of children
- Educational Institutions attended with Dates and Qualifications with Class of Degree Obtained including membership/fellowship of relevant professional bodies, if any.
- Work experience including full details of former and present posts with dates.
- List of Publications, if any.
- Other Relevant activities outside current employment.
- Major professional achievements, contributions including awards received, if any.
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees. Each referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward, direct to the Vice-Chancellor, a confidential report on the candidate’s character/conduct, academic and managerial competence, in a properly sealed envelope marked “REFERENCE/POST OF VICE-CHANCELLOR” as the case may be at the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
- Sworn affidavit before a commissioner for Oaths or Notary public to the effect that the applicant is not a member of a cult or secret society.
- The application should also include thirty-five (35) copies of the candidate’s Statement of Vision for the University for the next five years and beyond. The statement must not be longer than 5,000 words.
In the case of candidates for Vice-Chancellor’s position identified by the Search Committee, the applicant shall conform to the above stated requirements and in addition, the candidate shall present a Letter of Consent duly signed by the Candidate along with the application.
All applications should be submitted under confidential cover in a sealed envelope. The sealed envelope containing the application or nomination materials should be marked “Application / Post of Vice-Chancellor” at the top left hand corner and forwarded to reach:
Osun State University,
Oke Baale, P.M.B. 4494,
Osogbo, Osun State.
The submission of the hard copy should be accompanied by full electronic submission of the application and accompanying materials to be mailed as attachment in PDF or MS word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org The subject matter should read “Application for the Post of Vice-Chancellor”.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Referees should be similarly encouraged to submit signed electronic copies of their references In PDF format to the same address.