African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Chief Ethics Officer – Regional and Country Offices, PETH
Position Number: 50076291
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL3
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund (the Fund) and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the Bank and the Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG).
The Hiring Department
- The Ethics Office is responsible for providing leadership, management, and the provision of ethical advice and guidance to Management and Staff on ethical issues and assistance in preventing, mitigating and resolving ethical matters in a manner that contributes to the good governance of the Bank and helps to maintain its name, image and reputation for probity, integrity and impartiality.
- The Ethics Office acts independently of any official, department, office or other organizational unit of the Bank, but, for administrative purposes, is placed within the Presidency and reports to the President. The scope of the Ethics Office is limited to staff members and does not extend to elected officers who are covered by a separate framework.
- The role of Chief Ethics Officer entails provision of advice and guidance to Staff and Management on ethical challenges and dilemmas.
- The Chief Ethics Officer will provide impartial and confidential advice and guidance to Bank Staff and Management on all ethical related matters of the Bank.
- The incumbent shall ensure that Staff comply and adhere to Bank Regulations and Rules as well as the Code of Ethics in relation to their business conduct and behaviour through awareness and sensitization campaigns about Code of Ethics and relevant rules and regulation of the Bank.
- He/she manages the Banks’ financial disclosure requirements, conflicts of interests and any Staff external engagements that may conflict with the Bank provisions and expectations.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Head of Ethics Office (PETH), the Chief Ethics Officer will:
- Provide ethical advice to Bank Staff and to Management of the Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices to help prevent and manage the ethical breaches, to assist in the compliance with the standards of conduct set out in the Staff Code of Ethics;
- Advise as appropriate on all ethical matters such as ethical leadership, conflicts of interest, gifts, harassment, external activities, political activities as well on the Bank rules and regulations;
- Monitor and help identify actual, potential and perceived breaches to ethical and Code of Ethics standards and recommend measures for compliance.
- Advocate for an ethical culture and ethical leadership by organizing and executing seminars, workshops and training sessions;
- Organize and execute seminars and workshops in the Regional and Country Offices aimed at raising awareness on the role of ethics in a multinational institution.
- Ensure awareness and sensitization of Staff and Management in the Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices on the Code of Ethics including conflict of interest, gift policy to assist Staff in understanding their ethical obligations and rights;
- Develop a compliance training program specifically for the Regional and Country Offices and make recommendations, thereby preventing ethics violations before they occur;
- Recommend the development or review of measures, policies and procedures to enforce compliance and propose updates to the Code of Ethics and ethical tools;
- Develop tools and materials for the effectiveness of ethics and to ensure that ethical procedures are consistently adhered to throughout the Bank;
- Work with employees to encourage compliance with their personal obligations;
- Assist in overseeing the implementation, review and communications strategy for complying with the Bank’s disclosure process for Staff Members;
- Advise the Head of Unit on best practices on ethics rules and policies, training and liaison issues.
- Establish an impartial point of contact to provide confidential advice and guidance on matters of ethics and conduct for Staff and Management to use without fear of retaliation;
- Maintain working knowledge of relevant regulatory and ethical issues, of professional ethics codes, and of international laws and regulations, or professional or industry ethics codes, and of ethics conflicts resolution techniques;
- Develop/conduct training, sensitization and awareness-raising sessions for Staff and Management in the Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices;
- Coordinate outreach and education in the Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices to increase awareness of Bank values, standards of conduct and procedures through orientation and induction programs, as well as other means of communication to continuously reinforce the Bank’s ethical work culture;
- Assist the Head of Unit in developing policy recommendations and guidelines to deal with new and evolving areas related to ethical aspects of corporate behaviour and the development and dissemination of best practices in the Headquarters, and Regional and Country Offices;
- Manage the Ethics Help/Hotline dedicated to Regional and Country Offices to provide guidance on ethical values, ensure the development of internal and external communications, Code of Ethics and other material and tools for ethics issues management; and
- Carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Unit.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Holds at least a Master’s Degree in Ethics; Human Resources Management, Organisational Development, Law, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Public Sector Management or related discipline.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience; Experience with other multilateral Financial Institutions and/or other international organizations and/or legal background is an added advantage.
- Experience in working with ethics, including in international or in large multilateral organizations.
- Ability to apply business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifying solutions for the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the Bank.
- Ability to identify ethics compliance requirements in operations.
- In-depth knowledge of Bank policies and procedures.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
- Excellent Communication and Interpersonal Skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Commitment to the highest professional and ethical standards coupled with excellent interpersonal skills including an innovative and pragmatic approach to find appropriate solutions to key issues.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Good Client orientation and an analytical thinker with an ability to be innovative and creative in handling Bank matters.
- Competence in the use of Microsoft standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, SAP and/or other integrated document management system).
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
Deadline: 23rd October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified International Status and attracts International Terms and Conditions of employment.