Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. In mid-2018, PUI developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In 2018, PUI also scaled up its intervention with the opening of the Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. The severity of the needs and the reduction of humanitarian access make PUI positioning in Health and Nutrition crucial, especially in Monguno where PUI has taken over some core activities from ALIMA at the beginning of 2021 after they closed their program there. At the end of 2020, PUI launched an exploratory mission, along with INGO colleagues in Zamfara State (North West), and has developed a strategy for its upcoming intervention in the area.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Information Management Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (Coordination Office)
Contract Duration: 6 months (with possible extension)
- Under the supervision of the MEAL Manager, the Information Management Officer (IMO) will actively design and oversee data and information management systems at the PUI Nigeria mission level.
- Where IM and system gaps exist, the IMO will follow up with staff and set up primary data collection and case management systems as well as protocols for data storage, protection and management.
- The IMO will take steps to ensure consistency and quality in the information collected and to promote efficiency in IM, data usage and reporting for the Programs and MEAL teams, based on their needs.
Role and Responsibilities
Information Management System:
- Support the MEAL Manager in the design and implementation of a country-specific Information Management system to store, analyse, and disseminate information based on PUI needs (identified through initial Diagnosis), such as for Vulnerability Assessments and Case Management
- As relevant to the results of the IM Diagnosis, create computerized tools allowing faster M&E tracking and reporting and support the MEAL department in applying these new tools (also can apply for Programs to track project indicators)
- Consider and implement new methods to improve database management at PUI Nigeria, such as using online and offline databases to improve data management
- Implement the PUI Information Management strategy, and more specifically ensure the internal management of information, flows of information, Data Protection guidelines, and other operational requirements for the IM systems
- Work closely with the MEAL Manager to ensure consistency and interoperability between different datasets and sources
- Support the implementation of a document management system for archiving project data
- Contribute to the IM plan for new projects, considering Best Practices in data management and ease-in-use for the MEAL and Program teams
- Ensure data collected is well-organized and easily usable, e.g. clear and easily disaggregated into sex/gender, other required disaggregation – considering how the MEAL and Programs teams will need to analyse and report the data
- Ensure all data collected is consolidated into one central database to be used by programs and MEAL staff effectively, e.g. for Case Management
- Adapt the IM system(s) and strategy based on emerging needs and new programming requirements and indicators, and provide innovative ideas to ensure data collection and case management continues to be as efficient and smooth as possible.
Mobile Data Collection:
- Code and thoroughly test assessment tools for MEAL and Program teams into Kobo, CommCare or other platforms, following the mobile data collection process at PUI
- Provide technical input for tool design in Kobo, CommCare or other platforms, such as form logic, relevancies, constraints, scoring formulas, etc.
- Upload all forms for data collection to the Kobo, CommCare or platform server
- Review translations of data collection forms entirely, allowing the opportunity to review coherence in the questions, answers, skip logics, etc. and making final changes to the forms
- Download data from the Kobo, CommCare or platform server, do data cleaning, and share (and archive) the final – clean and compiled – data set with MEAL and Program staff
- Train staff and volunteers on mobile data collection technologies, e.g. tablets, and the form logics; and
- Help monitor data for trends and patterns with the support of program management and MEAL Manager and share relevant key findings.
Data Quality Management:
- Monitor the quality of data in databases, identify missing or inconsistent data, and follow up with the program teams to correct errors and improve data quality for the mission; This includes checking the Kobo, CommCare or platform server on a weekly basis to review the quality of data collection
- Manage the data collection software account and ensure proper, authorized usage by PUI staff
- Configure tablets and ensure that all tablets OS and software are updated
- Perform regular checks of the equipment and systems to ensure high-quality data collection and management.
Troubleshooting and Capacity Building:
- Provide training on the IM system(s) to PUI staff, and follow-up with technical support to improve data quality and data management for MEAL and Program teams
- Train staff on the IM Strategy and how to use the IM system(s)
- Provide technical troubleshooting support to staff as necessary, in a timely manner, about the IM system(s) and mobile data collection technologies, acting as the focal point
N.B: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Education Degree: University Degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Statistics, Mathematics or Technical Diploma in Computer science
- Work Experience: At least two years experience in a similar field with NGOs or in private IT companies
- Language Skills: Fluent in English (speaking, reading, and writing) and in Hausa and knowledge of Kanuri is strongly desirable.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to formulate IM systems, technical requirements and operating procedures
- Demonstrated analytical skills and knowledge of research, information management and analysis processes
- Experience in managing electronic data collection tools such as Kobo, ODK, CommCare and coding form
- Experience with advanced statistical software such as SPSS, InVivo, Stata etc
- Proficient in graphic design software and geographic information system
- Good knowledge of MS-SQL Server and SharePoint
- Excellent knowledge of Excel and Access (data manipulation and report generation) or any other database platform
- Experience in creating and maintaining databases
- Understanding of data security and protection policies.
- Integrity and loyal to humanitarian principles
- Patience and readiness to triangulate information
- Reliable and rigorous
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to manage priorities, take initiative, meet multiple competing deadlines, and work without constant supervision
- Ability to demonstrate clear analytical thinking and problem-solving
- Autonomous and hardworking
- Flexible, innovative and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Strong commitment to support and develop the capacity of the colleagues
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work within a team.
Deadline: 17th September, 2021 by 6:00pm.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: For Nigeria Nationals only (Male/Female).