The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Youth Envoy to the Chairperson
Requisition ID: 723
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Reports to: Cabinet of the Chairperson
Division: Youth Division
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Directorate / Department: Women, Gender and Youth – WGYD
Purpose of Job
- The Youth Envoy will work under the guidance of the AUC Chairperson, through the Cabinet, in close collaboration with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate (WGYD).
- The Youth Envoy will work closely with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate (WGYD) to Champion AU’s youth policies,
- Promote policy and partnership for youth engagement, and
- Mobilize political commitments on youth issues.
- Advocate for the development and implementation of AU youth development and engagement frameworks, policies, strategies and programmes
- Champion and promote best practices on youth development and engagement
- Consult and mobilize youth networks, to dialogue and engage in the development and implementation of AU Youth Frameworks
- Work closely with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate to ensure alignment in content and priorities for youth Development and engagement the office of the Youth Envoy
- Represent African youth voices in AU policy processes
- Undertake additional tasks as requested by the AUC Chairperson
The AU Chairperson’s Youth Envoy will be responsible for the following functions, among others:
- To Champion AU’s Youth policies and priorities as articulated in the African Youth Charter, the Africa Plan of Action on Youth Empowerment (APAYE) Guided by Agenda 2063
- Work with key partners – including governments, academic institutions, media and civil society, financial institutions and the private and non-governmental sectors
- Facilitate multi-stakeholder partnerships in the implementation of the African Youth Charter, APAYE and other AU policies with a bearing on youth.
- To Promote regional, continental and global partnership to support youth engagement and bring youth into AUC policy dialogues and decision making processes
- Promote the systematic and meaningful engagement of African young people, including those from marginalized communities, in areas affected by conflict and humanitarian emergencies.
- Mainstream and promote the engagement of young people through other creative and non-traditional avenues including the use of social media.
- Play a key role in the organization of special youth events comprising among others; Africa Youth Day, International Youth Day, and Intergenerational Dialogues, mobilizing voices of youth in the planning, implementation and evaluation of these events, platforms and frameworks; and increase regional, continental and global awareness and attention to youth issues.
- Promote youth leadership at member state and continental levels including through advocacy for enhanced youth participation in the work of the AUC, with a special focus on the most marginalized and vulnerable youth.
- Advocate for expanded investments and resources for youth development and policies.
- Work with relevant AUC Departments to advocate and expand the space for youth in the work of the AUC, including the parity agenda on achieving 35% quotas for young people at the AUC.
- Work with the relevant AU Department to mobilize resources, according to the AU financial rules and regulations for programmes, related to her work.
- Prepare periodic work plan duly reviewed and approved by the CCP in collaboration with WGDY
- Work closely with the Cabinet of the Chairperson on any matters related to the area of involvement, as assigned by the respective authorities.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have Master’s Degree in Development Studies or any related field with a Minimum progressive work experience of 3 years in public policy, public engagement, youth development, project management or related fields;
- Experience working on youth development issues
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Development Studies or any related field with a Minimum progressive work experience 5 years in public policy, public engagement, youth development, project management or related fields;
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Creativity and drive to innovate
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Strategic Insight..
- Developing others…
- Change Management…
- Managing Risk…
- Building Relationships…
- Foster Accountability Culture…
- Learning Orientation…
- Communicating with Influence…
- Conceptual thinking…
- Job Knowledge Sharing…
- Drive for Results…
- Continuous improvement orientation…
Tenure of Appointment
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Deadline: 8th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online