The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner CISCOPE (Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication), implemented a project to support livelihoods and improve WASH in Kogi State from February to May 2013. This was followed by a 3-month nutrition and food security program in the same location from October 2013 to January 2014. The IRC is now in the process of establishing long term presence in Nigeria. An office has been established in Adamawa State, North East Nigeria and are providing critical humanitarian assistance to conflict affected people.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), in partnership with Plan International, the American University of Nigeria (AUN), Inclusive Development Partners (IDP), and Restoration of Hope Initiative (ROHI) is implementing activities under the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funding for the Opportunities to Learn (OTL) activity in Nigeria. Under OTL, IRC and its consortium partners will work with students, teachers, community-based organizations, local government education authorities (LGEA) and state education authorities, and the private sector to design, implement, and scale lasting results which foster a healthier, better educated population by improving learning outcomes for Borno and Yobe’s most vulnerable children and youth.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: HR / Admin Assistant
Requisition ID: req20990
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full Time
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Scope of Work
- The Admin/HR Assistant is responsible for day-to-day HR & administrative requirements, functions and general office management of the IRC offices and to assist the HR Team in all related HR & Admin functions.
- Support onboarding and integration of new hires
- Support in performance management and staff development
- Support in staff management and administration
- Maintain staff database-(timesheet, leave and other benefits).
- Assist with staff training sessions, workshops and activities.
- Document all HR filing system and catalogue HR materials.
- Assist with payroll management.
- Support exit management
- Perform other job related tasks as requested by the Supervisor.
Assist in Administration Management:
- Track and monitor IRC office and guesthouse administration and maintenance.
- Manage rental agreements for offices and housing.
- Assure that all facilities are well functioning, including housekeeping, office supplies, electricity, maintenance and repair, internet and other communications functions in the field office.
- Assure proper use and functionality of office equipment.
- Supervise cleaners and cooks.
- Track and monitor subscriptions and monthly telephone and Internet communications, and assure that all are paid on time.
- Assist in processing travel documents (visa, ticket, etc.).
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: HR Manager
- Indirect Reporting: Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: Required to be a good team player, works effectively within the team
- Bachelor’s Degree or HND in Administration or related field.
- Approximately 0-1 year of relevant experience.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Professional HR & Administration experience preferably with an INGO.
- Good computer skill
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Attention to details.
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity.
- Team work skills.
- Fluent in English and Hausa.
- The position is located in the northeast Nigeria where the situation continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location. This is a national position.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.