Darkpore Media Africa is a multi-media and marketing firm building media solutions to development challenges across Africa. We are the audience company. We enable visionary organisations to reach and engage their audiences in Africa through a combination of traditional and emerging media solutions. Established in 2018 in Lagos, Nigeria, our goal is to use every resource possible: Stories! Music! Videos! Memes! Web! Big data! Live festivals! to connect and inspire communities that flourish and nourish.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Journalist
Employment Type: Full-time
Who We Want:
- Darkpore Media Africa seeks a dynamic and responsible Journalist to perform high-level reporting tasks for the Editor-in-Chief.
- Reporting directly to the Editor-in-Chief, the Journalist will excel at storytelling, time management, creative project planning, acting with little supervision, anticipating the studio’s content development needs while managing the day to day production workflow.
- He/She will work within and lead production teams to create truly revolutionary, culture-transforming story scripts for podcasts, Youtube, instagram and other streaming platforms; collaborate on character development for drama, graphic novels and games; prepare draft materials for production meetings, and support a wide range of unique fiction, documentary and policy newsroom projects.
- He/She must also be adept at managing social media interactions.
- He/She will research reports, books and interviews that provide background context for industry and community stories.
- The Journalist also serves as a liaison to the camera crew, creative artists, and collaborating production teams. The ideal individual must be proactive, possessing a strong sense of urgency, and must pay close attention to detail.
- They must exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, and organizational skills.
- He/She must be creative, skilled in all aspects of project management and enjoy working within a growing entrepreneurial mission-driven and results-driven environment.
- The Journalist must have the ability to work independently, balancing multiple storylines and story arcs from conception to completion.
- He/She must be able to work under pressure and handle a wide variety of activities and confidential project matters with total discretion.
- The Ideal candidate, is GEN Z, born after March 1st 1996 and must have completed one year of National Youth Service.
- Ability to drive will confer an advantage.
What You’ll Do:
- Scripting and storytelling for Studio projects.
- Scripting for digital content in all styles, forms and lengths – social, entertainment, news, documentaries, short, mid and long form.
- Work to a brief agreed with the Editor-in-chief, then develop and pitch creative ideas and concepts, choosing the appropriate media and style to meet project objectives.
- Ensure quality control of all output, including proofreading and cross-checking facts, spelling, grammar, writing style, etc.
- Manage more than one brief at a time, prioritizing effectively, allocating the relevant amount of time and resources according to the value of the job.
- Work as part of a team of producers, video editors, graphic designers, reporters, account managers, web developers, photographers and digital strategists.
- Complete a wide variety of creative tasks for the Executive Producer including: managing an extremely active calendar of creative projects; completing production reports; and compiling production documents for travel-related meetings.
- Maintain proactive and thoughtful communications with the external creative artists, production team, and other staff on behalf of the Editor-in-chief,
- Plan, coordinate, and ensure the schedule for script development is followed and respected.
- Work closely and effectively with the Editor-in-chief, keeping them informed of upcoming project commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Act as a “barometer,” having a sense of urgent and time-sensitive issues taking place in the environment and keeping the Executive Producer updated.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matter expeditiously, proactively, and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Work with Darkpore Media Africa staff and project partners to collect and assemble information for presentations, projects, and strategic planning.
- Handle phone, email, and postal mail inquiries and respond appropriately.
- All-around support for the Studio team.
What You Bring:
- HND / BSc in any of Creative Arts, Marketing, English, Journalism or relevant fields.
- 1-2 years experience in reporting stories, creating story lines, characters, and dialogue
- Passion for and commitment to the mission and core values of Darkpore Media Africa.
- Experience as a Journalist, Content Creator, scriptwriter, copywriter or similar role.
- Portfolio of online articles/stories/videos
- Hands-on experience with Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress)
- An ability to fact-check long-form content pieces
- Grit, resilience, and tenacity around achieving our mission.
- A willingness and flexibility to do “whatever it takes” for “whoever needs it” to achieve our mission.
- Excellent oral and written communication/editorial skills with an eye for details such as grammar, spelling, and formatting.
- High degree of organizational skills, time-management skills, and problem-solving ability; individually, the ability to work as a self-starter.
- Strong people skills, collegiality, humility and respect for others.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities with grace and professionalism in a timely manner.
- Ability to drive for efficiency, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and good judgment.
Deadline: 28th October, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of email.