Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. Operating in Nigeria since 2008, Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments and has been providing critical relief aid, empowering communities to prevent and respond to violence, inclusive economic development, recovery from crisis, building better lives and transforming their communities for good
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Local Consultancy for the Development of Training Manual for Parenting for Peace Activity
Locations: Abuja (FCT), Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau
Employment Type: Contract
Reports Directly to: DCoP CIPP
Works closely With: CIPP SPO-Gender & Inclusion (CIPP) and Program Manager
- Mercy Corps is implementing the Community Initiatives to Promote Peace (CIPP) program. CIPP is a five-year, $15 million project funded by USAID and implemented by Mercy Corps in partnership with Pastoral Resolve (PARE), Interfaith Mediation Centre (IMC), Savannah Centre for Diplomacy Democracy and Development (SCDDD) and African Radio Drama Association (ARDA).
- The program is mitigating violent conflict in at-risk communities in six states of Nigeria’s NorthWest (Kaduna, Kano, and Katsina States) and North Central (Kogi, Benue and Plateau States) through an integrated, multifaceted program that:
- Empowers communities to prevent and respond to violence and violent extremism by strengthening key skills and relationships, and
- Fosters an enabling environment for peace through policy advocacy, media outreach, and linkages to development programs.
- CIPP is deliberate in its effort to advance Gender Equality, Diversity and Social Inclusion (GEDSI) in peacebuilding interventions to ensure meaningful engagement of women and inclusivity in peace processes.
- We seek a highly motivated individual/team who believes deeply in Mercy Corps’ organizational mission and who can display a record of results and achievements, providing programs with technical guidance and support in ‘parenting for peace’, including application of positive parenting techniques in promoting peace and preventing violent extremism, preferably in the local context of Northern Nigeria.
- The primary objective of this consultancy is to develop a context specific comprehensive training of trainers manual that includes visual illustrations for use by community volunteers and other field teams.
- Designed methodologies for conducting training needs assessment, specifically to collect input of diverse stakeholders for developing a comprehensive manual
- Findings and input of the training needs assessment collected from diverse stakeholders harmonized, analyzed, and shared with CIPP team to inform the production of the manual
- Development and integration of GEDSI and effective facilitation approach that creates an inclusive learning environment for community stakeholders, including parents, and female and male youth influencers
- Production of two contextualized GEDSI integrated training of trainers manuals for use by community field teams, including women and youth groups in the Northwest and North Central
- GEDSI and conflict sensitive IEC materials developed to aid interpretation of the manual
Basic Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Master’s Degree in Adult Education, Development Studies, Social Work, Gender Studies, Social Sciences, or related field.
Required Experience and Skills:
- At least 5 years’ experience in delivering training workshops and developing training material for use by local women, men and youth groups engaged in conflict mitigation and peacebuilding
- Understanding of the context/strong working knowledge of CIPP implementing states in the North West and North Central regions, Nigeria
- Strong interpersonal, communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of sub-groups.
- Ability to develop strategies for effective communication.
- Vast knowledge of preventing violent extremism concepts, practices, and strategies.
- Ability to address diverse groups and individual interests; provide feedback and listen.
- Ability to identify problems and work to quickly develop possible options and solutions.
- Ability to make independent judgement, critically assess ever-changing situational conflict dynamics and make the necessary referrals where required.
- Rely on extensive experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals.
- Submit a detailed work plan for the consultancy period
- Undertake desk research and analyze current training modules and other relevant documents to fully understand the gaps in existing training materials being used for rolling out training of trainers in preventing violent extremism and promoting the role of women and youth in building peace.
- Engage and consult with diverse stakeholders, including government, civil society, academia, women and youth groups and community leaders
- Organize a validation workshop with concerned stakeholders and develop debrief report
- Develop and submit drafts training of trainers manuals in English and Hausa that suit the context of Northwest and North Central region of Nigeria.
- Design methodologies for effective facilitation approach that creates an inclusive learning environment for women and men in local and semi-urban communities
- Participate in multistakeholder platforms and pilot testing of the training manual and be willing to review and adapt draft manual based on recommendations.
- Finalize the two training of trainers manual with close support from Mercy Corps. ALL training materials developed will subsequently become the property of Mercy Corps.
- Develop gender and conflict sensitive IEC materials for use alongside the manual to aid participants learning.
- Consultancy is expected to be completed within 2 weeks.
- The consultancy will require travel to Benue, Plateau, Kogi, Kaduna, Katsina and Kano states.
Deadline: 3pm: 12th November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
All Submissions Should also include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) detailing Past Work / Achievement
- A detailed Concept Note, itemized Workplan, and Budget
- Samples of related work undertaken by the Consultant.