The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Specialist
Job #: req13455
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Duties and Accountabilities
Environment Safeguard and Standards:
During project preparation:
- Screen potential Environmental and Social (E&S) risks & impacts;
- Determine the appropriate risk classification; Prepare Concept Environmental and Social Review Summary (ESRS);
- Conduct thorough assessment of E&S risks & impacts;
- Review E&S documents available prior to Appraisal; and Prepare Appraisal ESRS.
During project implementation:
- Supervise project compliance with the Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) and Safeguard Policies as provided in the environmental and social assessment documents and management plans.
- Participate in project technical discussions and field visits.
- Review project reports and build effective working relationships with the project implementation agency to ensure proper implementation of the ESF.
During both preparation and implementation:
- Go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to support clients in achieving the project development goals.
- Work closely with the project task team and the social development specialist to ensure that projects are implemented in an environmentally and socially sustainable manner.
- Enhance the Client’s capacity to manage environmental and social risks and impacts of projects.
- Provide training to: i) Environment Specialists of various World Bank funded project implementation agency and ii) staff of the line ministries.
- Provide support in the implementation of ENB operations in Nigeria including:
- Day-to-day follow up on project implementation; review procurement plans and TORs submitted by the client to ensure alignment with the project objectives and consistency with World Bank fiduciary policies;
- Participate in implementation support missions under the guidance of the Task Team Leader and follow up on project progress;
- Elaborate mission aide-memoires and ensure timely execution of missions’ action plans.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Engineering, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, Geography, or a related field from a recognized university
- 5+ years of proven, relevant professional experience including environmental risk management (safeguards) and project management,
- Strong knowledge of environmental and climate issues in Nigeria
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally related data and information
- Familiarity with the World Bank Group’s organizational structure, its Policies, and procedures; experience working on World Bank Group projects is preferred
- Knowledge of Bank Environmental and Social Standards is preferred
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries; ability to function independently, with a high degree of motivation, flexibility, and reliability.
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English and French to deliver information effectively in support of team or workgroup.
World Bank Group Core Competencies:
- The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Required Language(s): English, French.
Deadline: 18th November, 2021 at 11:59pm UTC.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Leave a Reply