Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia – The MRC Unit The Gambia at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is one of two research units established in sub- Saharan Africa by the Medical Research Council UK and is the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s single largest investment in medical research in a low and middle income country. MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM represents a unique concentration of scientific expertise and high quality research platforms in the West African region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Fleet Technical Services Manager
- The Transport department of MRCG at LSHTM operates a fleet of over 500 machineries ranging from Motorcycles, Landcruisers, Landrovers to heavy duty trucks. This fleet is managed by a modern fleet management systemand a state-of-the-art fuelling system.
- The department operates three main garages on the main site at Fajara, Keneba Field Station in the Lower River Region and at Basse Field Station in the Upper River Region of The Gambia with other satellite garages across rural Gambia.
- We are seeking to appoint a suitably qualified candidate as a Fleet Technical Services Manager to be based at Fajara.
- The post holder will provide administrative supervision for the garage, coordinating the personnel to make the best use of spare parts, time and capital available and will maintain productivity of all garage personnel.
- S / he will be responsible for maintaining all the fleet in an excellent condition through the provision of an excellent service.
- B.Sc in Mechanical or Automobile Engineering or equivalent professional qualification.
- Previous experience in a motor vehicle workshop.
- Thorough understanding of and experience of vehicle maintenance.
- Knowledge of transport regulations.
- Working knowledge of MSWord, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills with the ability to motivate staff.
- Ability to make critical decisions under pressure, while maintaining the safety and well being of the staff he / she is responsible for.
- An assertive, structured and positive approach to verbal negotiations and discussions.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Willing to work as part of a team, providing additional help when resources are stretched.
- Proven record of ability to manage time and work to strict deadlines.
- Mature approach, pragmatic, tenacious with attention to detail.
- Ability to manage own workload and work in a target driven environment.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to evolving business needs,
- A thorough understanding and experience with specialized trucks and implements.
- Geographical knowledge of The Gambia.
Remuneration and Condition of Service
- The appointment is for 3 years initially and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
- The salary will be paid in Grade 3, 24 Points of MRCG at LSHTM’s payscale at a minimum net monthly salary of 40,425 Dalasi. This converts to a minimum take home pay of $809 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi / USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary will be paid in Dalasi and that the USD figure quoted is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, annual flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees and shipment of personal effects.
Deadline: 17th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please download the “Application Form” using the link below. Completed application forms and documents should be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- MRCG at LSHTM is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We cannot acept applications from individuals who are currently, or in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.