The National AIDS, Sexually Transmitted Infections Control and Hepatitis Programme (NASCP) is a division of the Department of Public Health in the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH). Its mandate is to coordinate the formulation and effective implementation of the Nigerian government policies, guidelines, and standard operating procedures for the prevention of new HIV infections as well as improve on the existing treatment, care and support for those persons already Infected and affected by the virus in the country. In collaboration with the USG, NASCP is implementing a first phase of National Clinical Mentoring in the HIV programme in 19 Nigerian States for Improved HIV service delivery.
Centre for Integrated Health Programs (CIHP) in collaboration with the State Ministry of Health is seeking to recruit qualified persons in Lagos State to fill the critical position necessary for programme implementation in the state as indicated below:
Job Title: State Clinical Mentor
Employment Type: Full Time
- The candidate must be domiciled in the state and be conversant with the terrain.
- S/he is expected to build the capacity of front-line Healthcare workers to provide quality HIV clinical services offered as part of a comprehensive package of care in both public and private facilities as well as in communities.
- The job is for an initial period of one year however, renewable.
- Provide on-site clinical training to health care workers on HIV treatment according to the national guidelines, Including adult and pediatric ART and the treatment of tuberculosis and other opportunistic diseases.
- Provide training through clinical consultation, assisting local healthcare workers to identify key bottlenecks affecting patients access to anti retroviral therapy (AR1) and helping them with direct patient care as needed.
- Provide continuous medical education (CME), which may include didactic training sessions to health professionals, as needed. All training will be in accordance with the national guidelines.
- Provide health worker capacity building sessions using various methodologies (including use of project ECHO, low bandwidth video conferencing.
- Assist as requested with facilitating sessions on the weekly ECHO video conferencing sessions with health workers from various sites in the states
- Develop standard operating procedures for the provision of HIV clinical care at the health facility in collaboration with the Ministry of health and other stakeholders. This may include troubleshooting problems with the patient flow, tracking defaulters, or clarifying referral pathways by developing appropriate algorithms
- Submit a monthly report on training and technical assistance activities, as well as findings and recommendations for strengthening services In the health facility and compliance with the national treatment guidelines
- Perform other duties related to clinical mentoring as assigned.
- Must possess a Degree in Medicine (MBBS or equivalent).
- Post-graduate qualification / Master’s level training in Public Health, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics or Obstetrics will be an advantage.
- Must be registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria
- At least 2 years’ experience in clinical HIV and AIDS care, including the provision of anti retroviral therapy(AR1)
- Experience with programme planning, assessment, and implementation of HIV clinical care programme will be an advantage.
- Previous experience in HIV-related operational research is an advantage
- Good knowledge of current trends and normative guidance (national and international) In HIV clinical care and service delivery
- Willingness to travel to clinics and hospitals in assigned geographical areas within the State.
Required Competencies / Skills:
- Coaching and mentoring ability
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of different backgrounds
- Ability to apply problem solving skills to challenges.
- Strong organizing and planning skills.
- Sensitivity to different cultural working environments
- Ability to analyze and Interpret data, and write reports
- Capacity to operate both as a team player in large diverse teams as well as individually.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Proficiency in the use of computers and software/applications Such as presentation software, spreadsheets, and video conferencing.
Deadline: 22nd November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV with a suitability statement that states how their skills, knowledge and experience make them suitable for the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.