African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Governance Expert, Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Counter Terrorist Financing (CFT), and Illicit Financial Flows (IFFs)
Position Number: 50104481
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- The Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP Complex) core objective is to give greater visibility and prominence to knowledge, its dissemination and management.
- This is done through the (i) generation of access to operationally relevant, multi-sector research on African development issues; (ii) the narrowing of the data statistics gap in Africa by improving the availability, quality and coverage of statistics, for policy formulation, implementation, evaluation and effective monitoring of progress and contributing to the development of cooperation statistics in Africa.
- ECVP is also the focal point for capacity development and provision of training with a clear focus on those areas most relevant to ensuring economic growth and efficient implementation of Bank-financed projects and enhancing their impact.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Governance and Public Financial Management Coordination Office (ECGF) is in the complex of the Chief Economist / Vice Presidency for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP), based at the Headquarters in Abidjan, and is responsible for coordination and operationalization of the Bank’s Governance policy, strategy and programs, including lending and non-lending work.
- ECGF works in collaboration with the other complex’s and departments of the Bank towards ensuring (i) that the Bank’s substantive technical engagement with key policy and strategy processes in the area of governance and public financial management are properly coordinated; and (ii) that the Bank’s interventions in Regional Member Countries, through program-based operations/ budget support and institutional strengthening projects promote effective and accountable governance and public financial management.
- The Principal AML/CTF/ IFFs Expert (Governance) (PL-4) will lead the work of the Bank in AML/CTF/IFFs and oversee the Bank’s engagement on regional and global initiatives on IFFs.
- S/he will work with stakeholders within the Bank, and its RMC, as well as globally, by providing support to Bank departments working in this area, as well as providing financial, technical, and advisory assistance to stakeholders in the Bank’s RMCs.
- In this regard, the objective is to contribute to the development of the Bank’s internal capacity to participate in the implementation of comprehensive IFFs strategies in Africa, incorporate IFFs issues in the Bank’s policy dialogue with RMCs, provided effective support to RMCs and their institutions through loan, grants and technical and financial assistance, and collaborate with other relevant organizations in these areas.
- In addition, the AML/CTF/IFFs Expert will be responsible for the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of AML/CTF/IFFs focused governance operations, for ensuring that AML/CFT/IFFs is effectively mainstreamed in Governance Operations, including budget support operations and institutional support projects, as well as targeted diagnostic works with a focus on building effective institutions that promote equity, transparency and accountability in the management of public resources, more generally.. S/he will also contribute to conducting country level policy dialogue on AML/CTF/IFFs issues.
- In particular the AML/CTF/IFFs Expert (Governance) will be expected to provide specialist advice and inputs to the Bank Group in the area of Anti Money Laundering/ Counter Terrorism Financing (AML/CTF) and Illicit Financial Flows (IFFs) in particular through review of technical design and institutional arrangements for governance projects/program proposed for Bank’s funding and assessing their feasibility from the perspective of present and future impact.
- S/he will also contribute to forging partnerships and strengthening initiatives in the area of AML/CTF/IFFs, in particular, and governance, in general.
- The work accomplished will contribute to realization of the Bank’s governance work program as it relates to the implementation of the Bank’s High Fives priorities: Feed Africa; Light-up Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the Lives of the people of Africa.
- In carrying out his/her mandate, the Principal AML/CTF/ IFFs Expert (Governance) will interact with and support other departments/organizational units of the Bank tasked with related work such as correspondence banking/know-your-customer procedures, payment processing processes, anti-corruption, audit and legal and judicial reforms and provide internal coordination for the activities of these departments/organization units in the area of IFFs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director of Governance and PFM Coordination Office the Principal AML/CTF/IFFs Expert (Governance) will:
Project Preparation and Management:
- Lead the preparation of technical assistance for IFFs capacity and institutional building (institutional support projects), as well as other IFFs related supports to RMCs.
- Manage an active country portfolio of IFFs institutional support projects, to ensure timely implementation according to agreed objectives.
- Support Bank teams in the design and implementation of program-based operations and institutional support projects by ensuring that IFFs issues are mainstreamed in such operations.
- Provide thought leadership, technical advisory, training and project management support to various Governance projects
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Bank’s AML/CTF/IFFs work as enunciated in the Bank’s IFFs Policy, Strategic Framework and Action Plan, Governance strategy and other corporate documents as relevant
- Develop, coordinate and facilitate capacity development measures in the area of AML/CTF/IFFs internally and for RMCs
- Contribute to the reporting on AML/CTF/IFFs activities in the Annual Report, ADF and other corporate reports as required
- Support resource mobilization efforts for AML/CTF/IFFs through the preparation of concept notes, proposals and other relevant documents
Strategy and Planning:
- Support the review and update of the Bank’s strategies and Action Plans on AML/CTF/IFFs as may be needed from time to time
- Contribute towards the development of country and sector level policy and strategies for AML/CTF/IFFs issues in RMCs in consultation with relevant government agencies and country offices.
- Engage in policy reform dialogue with Government officials and development partners on governance and AML/CTF/IFFs policy and reforms.
- Contribute to the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on economic governance and AML/CTF/IFFs issues.
- Contribute to the preparation of Regional Integration Strategy Papers, Country Strategy Papers and Country Policy and Institutional Assessments towards ensuring Governance and AML/CTF/IFFs issues are incorporated and adequately addressed.
- Represent the Bank as delegated in key AML/CTF/IFFs engagements including meetings of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), and sub-regional FATF Style Bodies such as ESAAMLAG and GIABA.
Sector Economic Work and Knowledge Sharing:
- Undertake reviews, analysis and reporting of economic management initiatives of Governments, including matters of AML/CTF/IFFs ensuring that these are considered in the design and implementation of projects and programs.
- Lead/ support upstream analytical and diagnostic work on AML/CTF/IFFs
- Coordinate with other development partners working in this field, and act as focal person for country level engagements in these areas
- Contribute to activities of advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around Governance and AML/CTF/IFFs issues
- Engage in networks relevant to Governance, Economic and financial management and AML/CTF/IFFs issues
- Organizing Training workshops and Capacity Building Programs for Bank staff
- Maintaining an online repository of information on ML, FT and other IFFs
- Preparing Training Manual on IFFs for use by Bank staff
- Preparing and circulating advice to RMCs through Policy Briefs
- Support the AfDB in broad stakeholder engagement to strengthen strategy roll-out, build consensus and enhance coordination on issues relating to AML/CTF/IFFs
- Support the AfDB’s efforts to place AML/CTF/ IFFs on the agenda of the RMCs, sub-regional FATF Style Bodies, the African Union as well as the Global Agenda
- Lead project teams and supervise the work of team members.
- Mentor other staff.
- Supervise the work of consultants
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance, Public administration, Governance / Political Science, Law or related fields. Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist Certificate (CAMS) and/or other IFFs Specialize qualifications will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience working on economic governance, and matters relating to AML/CTF/IFF.
- Proven track record of managing and delivering programs (including institutional support projects and budget support operations) and providing technical advice in support economic governance, including in the areas of anti-money laundering, counter terrorist financial and/or preventing illicit financial flows.
- Demonstrated knowledge and in-depth understanding of economic governance, revenue mobilisation and the effective policies and measures for preventing illicit financial flows, particularly in Africa.
- Experience in conducting effective policy dialogue with stakeholders on governance, in particular themes related to AML/CTF/IFF.
- Ability to conduct policy research and carry out diagnostics on governance themes, and translate these into policy briefs, reports, or other knowledge products.
- Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems.
- Proven sense of initiative, results orientation, teamwork and leadership qualities, and ability to work effectively across sectors in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with operational policies and programming practices of multilateral organisations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and Knowledge of SAP highly desirable.
Deadline: 25th December, 2021.
Methd of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.