Guinness Nigeria Plc is a major market for Diageo: Guinness Nigeria operates in the unique and fast growing alcohol industry of over 15mhl beer potential. It is the only company that does Total Beverage Alcohol (TBA) in Nigeria. It’s an on trade dominated market but with a fast growing off trade channel.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Tax Manager
Ref No: JR1055242
Location: Ikeja, Lagos
Job Type: Full time
Worker Type: Regular
Job Family Description
- The Tax job family encompasses global roles accountable for the design and implementation of tax strategies, policies, and the tax governance framework.
- It also includes the provision of tax support to Diageo’s business units, delivery of projects to build shareholder value, and proactive management and mitigation of key tax risks.
- To partner with the business to drive the execution of the tax strategies, policies, and governance framework across Diageo.
- Proactively engage with business partners with a commercial mind-set to generate opportunities and to deliver robust tax risk management and mitigation plans.
- Support the tax compliance agenda. Support the business strategy and operational activity.
- Job Dimensions (The areas of the business you will support and who you will work with)
- Finance Business partners and operational teams (including Finance Director and Financial Controller) together with Corporate Relations Director and Managing Director: Build and maintain a strong working relationship keeping up to date with business priorities and developments and acting as a trusted business advisor in order to challenge and support the markets in improving overall tax management. Keep the business up to date with the implications of any tax/regulatory changes and advise in a timely manner on best course of action by the business to ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations while also factoring the business strategies.
- Tax Compliance and Reporting teams: Collaborate with the relevant tax Centre of Excellence teams to provide high quality, timely tax activities and outcomes to the business
- Owners the Tax Risk Matrix for the business.
- All Nigerian tax authorities, departments, and other senior government tax authorities: Own relationships with all tax bodies and proactively engages them on speedy resolution of any tax audits or tax enquiries
- Liaise as appropriate with the teams responsible for payroll taxes and for customs & excise taxes in resolution of any audits/assessments relating to these taxes.
- Governance & Change: Support delivery of changes/improvements relating to tax.
- External Advisors: Support the relationship with external tax advisors and hold them to account for the delivery of timely, cost effective and value adding tax advice.
What you will be responsible for:
- Tax Compliance: Support the tax compliance, financial and reporting obligations of the markets. Collaborate with tax compliance teams and advisors to provide high quality, accurate, timely computations, payment and accounting for various taxes and application agreed global standard processes/governance framework. Implement specific tax related processes/activities following agreed global standard processes and governance framework and find opportunities for standardization and simplification.
- External Relationships: Leadership and ownership of key relationships with all Nigerian tax authorities in order to implement strategy and address tax audits/queries. Where necessary, this will involve liaison with the separate payroll and customs & excise teams. Be responsible for the relationship with external tax advisors and hold them to account for the delivery of timely, cost effective and value add tax advice.
- Finance Business partnership: Develop and maintain a strong working relationship and keeping up to date with business priorities and developments, act as a trusted business advisor in order to challenge and support the markets in improving overall tax management. Advise, guide, and educate market partners on key tax issues to enable the business to adopt and adhere to relevant tax policies and standards, and mitigate tax risk.
- Value Creation and Risk Management: Advise, guide, and educate partners on key tax issues to enable the business to adopt and adhere to relevant tax policies and standards, and mitigate tax risk. Seek opportunities for standardization and simplification. Thorough risk assessment of GN Plc’s tax position and development of optimal strategy and communication of key issues to key partners. Identify tax risks and opportunities and recommend actions. Active engagement in the management and monitoring of market tax risks.
- Governance & Change: Support delivery of internal or external changes. Provide tax support to market-initiated projects e.g., innovation to ensure tax strategies and policies are adhered to and opportunities to deliver tax efficiencies are identified and fully evaluated.
- Training/Capability building: Keep up to date with tax law changes and standard methodology and provide legislative update to tax compliance/reporting teams.
Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree in Business related studies.
- Professional membership of relevant tax bodies.
- Experience within a tax function in a global multinational or a tax advisory firm preferred.
- Experience of running tax audits.
- Tax accounting experience.
- Broad understanding of key domestic and international tax issues.
- At least 4 years post qualification experience of leadership within a tax function in a multinational (preferred) or a tax advisory firm
- Wide experience in taxation within Nigeria, Africa and Global.
- Application of tax knowledge to commercial agenda.
- Good judgement regarding acceptable levels of tax risk.
- Effective project management and implementation skills
- Good team working and communication skills across diverse cultures
- Capable of adapting policies across several territories
- Able to manage risk
- Able to embed compliance and ethics.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online