African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
Position Number: 50092322
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: EL3
The Hiring Complex
- The Vice President and Chief Financial Officer oversees the financial management of the Bank Group.
- This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
- Reporting directly to the Bank President, the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Finance is responsible for providing strategic leadership on all Finance-related activities of the Bank Group, comprising primarily the treasury, accounting and financial reporting, financial management, resource mobilization including syndication and co-financing activities.
- The Administrator of the African Development Bank’s staff retirement plan also reports to the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
- The Vice President of Finance provides strategic advice to the President on the key financial matters of the African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The Vice President and Chief Financial Officer’s specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Provide leadership in the formulation and implementation of the Bank’s financial strategies in support and furtherance of its development mandate;
- Oversee the development and implementation of new financial products and services to meet the Bank’s client needs;
- Oversee the optimal utilization of the Bank’s risk-bearing capacity between non-core (treasury and asset-liability management) and core (lending or credit) activities:
- Promote policies, processes and guidelines to enhance cost-effective funds raising in all major currencies and certain regional members currencies to encourage on-lending to clients and increase investment income;
- Provide the leadership required to assure the on-going confidence of key stakeholders in the financial management capacity of the Bank Group;
- Serve as an advocate or sponsor for important organizational or process change initiatives;
- Foster an environment, throughout the Bank, that stimulates and rewards partnership, encourages continuous learning, open communication and teamwork, and employs managerial best practices to motivate staff and ensure their most productive and cost-effective utilization and deployment;
- Represent the Bank in key discussions with various stakeholders (investors, borrowers, rating agencies, shareholders and other development financing partners) on financial matters;
- Oversee the administration of the Staff Retirement Plan.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Finance and/or Business Administration or related disciplines;
- Have a minimum of fifteen (15) years of relevant experience acquired in a reputable financial institution. The last ten (10) years should have been at a senior management level;
- Broad, executive-level experience in the area of Finance;
- Experience working in large, multicultural organizations in the public or private sector with a diverse workforce and sensitivity to diversity concerns of staff and Boards of Directors;
- Proven intellectual leadership in managing and maintaining an efficient and transparent environment in an international financial/banking organization;
- Established reputation and track record of performance, innovations and change management;
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with oversight bodies such as multi-national Boards of Executive Directors and Governors and other senior government officials;
- Ability to think strategically and design long term plans and programs to develop staff in line with strategic priorities;
- Ability to inspire, generate and sustain staff commitment and professional excellence;
- Good negotiating skills and ability to communicate orally and write effectively in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Proficient in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Deadline: 14th January, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.