Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Safety and Security Officer
Ref No: 220000MO
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team/Programme: Program Operations
Post Type: National
- The Safety and Security Officer will work closely with the Project Manager for PLANE Programme in Kano matrix Management responsibilities to the Head of Safety and Security in the country office.
- Ensure compliance with SCI safety and security culture that reflects our mandate and values, promotes accountability and high performance that enable our team deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our Members and donors.
- Ensure all Kano Field office staff, visitors and partners complies with all Save the Children S&S Management Operating Standards and Procedures. Ensure that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies, especially in case of security-related crisis.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: (Direct) Program Manager
- Reports to: (Matrix) Head of Security & Safety (HoSS)
- Staff directly reporting to this post: Security Guards
Key Areas of Accountability
- Regular collection, collation, and analysis of all S&S information across the Kano area of operation and SCI work in Nigeria
- Collect and keep all programme movement tracking records, follow-up on movement tracking timing and file a trip completion records and report trip stoppages and hitches for immediate follow-up
- Prepare reports that document Safety and security breaches and the extent of the damage caused by the breaches
- Prepare a Weekly Situation Report on safety and security context of the location.
- Carry out Incident/actor mapping and produce relevant reports and advisory for the Kaon programme team
- Assist the Fleet team in Movement Planning support the conduct of S&S/Road Safety trainings and programmes for programme drivers/fleet team/partners/other programme stakeholders
- Documents contextual changes and constantly update the Field Manager/Kano team/HoSS at the CO
- Carry out periodic and occasioned S&S field contextual assessments and generate reports for the use of both the programme team and the CO
- Carry out/support incidents investigations both in the Field Office and CO
- Represent the SCI S&S Dept. at any external network meeting in the location and reporting to the FM/HoSS
- Carry out any other duty/responsibilities assigned by the Head of Safety and Security/CD.
Qualifications, Experience And Attributes
- Degree level qualifications in any of Humanities or Sciences and Security Management. (longer period of experience can be taken in place of Degree)
- At least three years’ work experience with an INGO performing Safety and security functions
- Strong learning attitude and capacity for learning and development of technical and professional skills.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an internationally diverse environment.
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments
- Fluency in English and at least one of the languages in the locations context.
- Ability to speak other Nigerian local languages is a plus.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s Diversity, particularly in the humanitarian sector.
Values and Critical Competencies:
- Capable of displaying Leadership
- Self-reliant, reliable
Skills and Behaviours:
- Covert Information Gathering and analysis skills using good knowledge of management practice and technologies used in the sector
- Good understanding of INGOs programming. ie. Humanitarian principles
- Basic knowledge of Fraud and criminal investigation procedures and methods.
- Critical thinking and excellent logical skills
- Strong proficiency in the use of Office suites. i.e. Outlook, Microsoft word, Excel, PowerPoint etc
- Nose-for-news’ and ability to spot flaws in systems
- Have good oral, written communication and presentations skills
- Honest, openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Consistent excellent judgement.
Communication And Training:
- Liaise on a regular basis with other INGOs and UN agencies across Northern Nigeria and Kano state in particular, stakeholders, government and local administration agencies and where possible with community leaders in the process of gathering and verifying security information
- Coordinate and manage the proper use of SCI communication equipment/systems and alert the Field Manager of any hardware failures.
- Develop security briefing material and provide orientation to incoming or newly appointed staff
- Coordinate Safety and Security trainings to SCI Kano staff and partners. Trainings will include medical, communications, guard force and driving but will also include other higher-level security trainings as maybe prescribed by the HoSS.
- Provide timely security briefings for visitors to Kano and on occasions support visitors on field trips/missions.
- Develop and implement security training for all Kano staff, develop and apply evaluation processes to determine whether training competencies are met.
Deadline: 9th February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online