The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Intern – Digital Solutions
VA No.: 005
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
- GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2019, we generated a business volume of around EUR 3.1 billion. Our 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff, work in around 120 countries.
- As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 556 development workers in action in partner countries.
- Furthermore, in 2019, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the German Federal Employment Agency, placed 262 integrated experts and 515 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
- On behalf of the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is implementing the Market Oriented Value Chains for Job and Growth in ECOWAS – MOVE.
- The aim of the project is to promote market-oriented and future-proof value chains that contribute to income and employment generation in the ECOWAS region.
- The focus will be put on the cashew and rice value chains and the proejet will build on the succeses of Competitive Cashew Initiative (ComCashew) and Competitive Rice Initiative (CARI).
- MOVE project will be implemented in Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Sierra Leone and Nigeria. The overarching strategy of implementation is built on making value chains more resilient, collaborating with large companies and SMEs, integrating Gender
- Transformative Approaches (GTA), developing a more conducive local/regional business climate, and then scaling for achieving broad impact in ECOWAS. MOVE objectives and outputs focuses on the following:
- Increasing the share of value added in the ECOWAS region
- Enhancing the viability of production systems
- Increasing the demand for regional products
- Scaling good practices in supply chain development
- Strengthening policy advice and public-private cooperation
- The Digital Solutions Intern is responsible for supporting the Digital Solution Advisor and Component Leaders in the development, implementation, and monitoring of digital solutions in areas relevant for MOVE programme.
- A particular focus will be on-the-ground implementation of ICT activities in collaboration with private partners.
The Digital Solutions Intern:
- Support to implement project initiatives to improve existing digital solutions and their availability, (e.g.: identify existing digital solutions and assess they’re suitability for up and out scaling, assist to provide technical and methodological advice to improve and make available the solutions)
- Support the scouting/identifying potential new digital solutions that could be implemented in MOVE based on research and exchanges with MOVE partners and value chain actors
- Assist in the marketing of existing and new digital solutions that are being implemented in MOVE, particularly on-theground implementation
- Assisting to liaise with other GIZ ICT4Ag programs/activities in GIZ implementing countries and at Headquarters
- Supporting the development and implementation of other internal digitalization activities of MOVE
- Supporting any additional project activities that may arise.
Tasks related to operations:
In collaboration with, and under the guidance of the MOVE team, the Intern carries out the following supportive tasks:
- Supports the development of digitalization concepts and propose them to the line of management
- Assisting to liaise with in-house technical teams, project partners, ICT solution providers and technical experts on digitalization concepts and suitable solutions for the agriculture sector Serves food and drinks to staff and visitors
- Join the team Implement and supervise testing and evaluation of new and currently implemented digitalization concepts and solutions
- Assist to chart proper directions for the commercial sustainability (i.e., business model) of the digitalization concepts and solutions
- Ensure that digital solutions are aligned with GIZ requirements, including digital principles of GIZ and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Maintenance of gadgets used for testing and piloting ICT solutions
- Assistance in organizing meetings, workshops, events etc.; including taking minutes, notes and preparing reports
- Assistance in multimedia documentation, filing and archiving of project activities and reports
- Assistance to carry out any other instructions given in furtherance of MOVE operations and management.
- Is familiar with all components of the Programme, concepts and status of implementation and knows the corresponding experts and staff.
- Represents the interest of the GIZ and the Programme and always acts on its behalf; and carries out important tasks for the Programme, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description; performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Management.
- Carries out important tasks for the Programme, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description; performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Management.
Required qualifications, Competences and experience
- B.Sc / MA holder in the field of Computer Science, Information Management, Information and Communication
- Technology and other related studies
- Further certifications on UX/UI design and testing, software development, project management will be an advantage with a strong focus on agriculture and private sector development
- A Master’s Degree is an asset. Professional experience
- Any working experience with/for agro-industries in agricultural value chain development /Management advice / Private sector development etc. will be an advantage.
- Strong computer skills in contemporary MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Publisher etc.) is mandatory.
- Clear and diplomatic communication (oral and written).
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Affinity for market/internet research regarding existing ICT solutions and ability to recognize potential in ICT solutions and ability to recognize potential in ICT solution to implement in a non-digitized environment (with regards to agriculture).
- Understanding of IT development and projects.
- Ability to communicate adequately with interdisciplinary / multi-institutional teams (units / research organizations,
- NGOs and Governmental agencies, farmers, their organizations, and donors).
- Team worker and constructive attitude in case of difficulties or conflicts.
- Structured work style with high degree of self-organization, flexibility, and creativity.
- Developed attitude and awareness of service delivery.
- Fluency in English and Knowledge of French and any of the local languages would be a plus.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 1.
Deadline: 14th February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “vacancy no. 005” as the subject of the mail.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.