The Georgetown Global Health Nigeria (GGHN) LTD / GTE is the operational arm and an affiliate of Georgetown University Centre for Global Health Practice and Impact (CGHPI) in Nigeria. GGHN is a Non–profit, Non-Governmental Organization in Nigeria that promotes best practices in health care delivery and research using local and internationally adapted models to strengthen health systems.
We require the services of individuals with skills and expertise to work on an anticipated HIV Care and Treatment program by USAID on the Accelerating Control of the HIV Epidemic in Nigeria (ACE) in the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Officer
Locations: Bauchi (2), Jigawa (1) and Kano (4)
Employment Type: Full Time
Slots: 7 Openings
- GGHN is seeking Laboratory officers to support the ACE project located in Bauchi, Jigawa, and Kano state. GGHN provides technical and programmatic support services to the states.
- The incumbent will report to the Laboratory specialist/ Advisor Laboratory.
- S/he will coordinate access to laboratory tests (VL, CD4, TB drives) and ensure timely transmission of results to the project team while working closely with SDF and LGA laboratory structures.
- S/he will also be responsible for the facilitation of VL, drives, Lab systems strengthening, as well as QMS implementation at assigned Health facilities.
- The incumbent will build the capacity of facility laboratory staff on appropriate phlebotomy techniques for all categories of clients and ensure adherence to standard lab protocols and guidelines for testing both in the facility and community
- Responsible for the periodic evaluation of laboratory methods, procedures, laboratory systems assessments, laboratory continuous quality improvement projects, and review of activities with institutions of corrective and preventive action
- Work collaboratively with other facility professionals in the cascade of care to collate line list clients eligible for VL from EMR to facilitate proactive tracking and bleeding of all eligible clients for VL daily
- Regularly review and ensure prompt documentation of VL results onto TAT register, VL monitoring register, clients’ care card, ART, register, and LAMIS/OMRS whenever results are returned
- Facilitate appropriate VL drive, baseline CD4 for all newly identified clients, and collection of sputum samples from all presumptive TB cases and subsequent transport to nearest GeneXpert Laboratory for analysis
- Facilitate the participation of all community and facility counselor testers in proficiency testing program
- Ensure quality controls are performed and documented for RTKs every week amongst the facility and community teams
- Provide weekly updates on VL optimization efforts, appropriate documentation of VL uptake in service registers, and daily uptake trackers
- Coordinate inventory control management for RTKs and other lab supplies in the facility and among the community teams.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Science, Microbiology, or a comparable area with appropriate Licensure or certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist, public health microbiologist approved by the relevant practice regulation agency.
Prior Work Experience:
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible professional-level experience in the field of public health and/or laboratory sciences is required. Prior work experience with the Government and/or international organizations is required.
- Considerable knowledge of the basic principles and laboratory applications of biology, microbiology, and chemistry.
- Ability to apply knowledge of information sources in biology, microbiology, chemistry, and scientific methodology.
- Knowledge of current laboratory facilities, methods, equipment, materials, and ability to perform standardized biological, chemical, and microbiological examinations independently.
- Make and record scientific observations accurately, prepare and present scientific records and reports and observe safety precautions and precautions.
- Knowledge of the use of computers and laboratory Information Management.
- Knowledge of public health laboratory laws and regulations; sanitary bacteriology regulations.
- Ability to carry out and consult with other program area staff and the public on this issue.
- Ability to deal with staff and the public in a positive and successful manner.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills are required.
- Experienced with lab related data management systems
- Familiar with standards and federal / state regulations affecting laboratory and laboratory practices
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications particularly Ms. Excel
- Ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a team environment are also required.
Deadline: 22nd February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The position is subject to GGHN’s award from the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) 72062021RFA00004 – NPI GH ROUND 8.
- Please indicate the location you are interested in working.
Leave a Reply