ECOWAS Parliament was established by the ECOWAS Revised Treaty of 24 July 1993 as one of the Institutions of the Community. The Parliament is the House of Representatives of the peoples of the Community. It is composed of 115 Representatives from the 15 Member States of ECOWAS: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Librarian / Documentalist
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Institution: Ecowas Parliament
Directorate: Directorate of Parliamentary Affairs and Research
Division: Library, Documentation & Research
Line Supervisor: Librarian / Documentalist (P3/P4)
- Under the supervision of the Librarian/Documentalist, incumbent shall assist in providing, organizing and preserving information materials including documents produced by the Parliament, for reference in Parliamentary work as well as for access by Researchers on ECOWAS activities.
Role and Responsibilities
- Assist in ensuring the production, preservation and availability of desired documents to meet the needs of all organs of the Parliament;
- Assist with policies and procedures for the management of the library and documentation of the Parliament;
- Assist with establishing links with other libraries and international resource centres to facilitate access to scarce sources of information;
- Assist in encouraging and facilitating the usage of the library by developing information tools on the library collection and facilities, as well as on the ways to access these;
- Assist from time-to-time on the modernisation and up-dating of the library to take advantage of advances in information technology and diversified forms of research;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Library Science, Public Administration or any similar field from a recognized University.
- 2 years of professional working experience in documentation and organizing of parliamentary documents;
- Understanding of the ECOWAS parliamentary process;
- Demonstrated skills in proofreading and attention to detail.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to motivate self and/or others to engage in and successfully complete tasks at hand;
- Ability to lead in the management of own career and performance and to seek assistance/coaching when required.
- Well-developed client service skills including a positive attitude, creative thinking skills, good work ethic, teamwork experience, time management skills, flexibility;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve problems and improve quality and/or quantity of work by identifying alternative solutions and discussing appropriateness/approach with supervisor;
- Strong desire to help others and capacity to empathize to generate mutual understanding;
- Ability to work as part of a team in supporting and addressing the needs of clients and stakeholders;
- Ability to multitask and to meet client service/stakeholder management standards and objectives of pertinence to assigned responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience leading conversations that will either provide participants with new information, ideas or awareness or elicit feedback;
- Ability to positively influence co-workers when faced with challenges and work problems to help trigger solutions and build confidence;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to perceive the moods and feelings of others from various cultural backgrounds, and to understand interests, needs, and perspectives so as to prevent/address misunderstandings and complaints;
- Well-developed ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds and sound understanding of diverse cultural differences especially within west Africa;
- Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests and concerns and to understand and internalize the need for diversity management in every day workplace practices;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to apply ecowas standards in emailing, reporting, correspondence, etc. and to accept and implement changes as directed.
- Excellent numeracy skills with the ability to collect, collate, classify and summarize data systematically.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in conducting primary and secondary research activities in accordance with instructions and/or best practices in research techniques (e.g. interviews, tests, desk research);
- Ability to identify inconsistencies in reasoning and to articulate findings clearly;
- Ability to use creativity and initiative in the generation of alternative solutions to a problem;
- Ability to gather, analyze and arrange information in a logical sequence.
- Ability to factor in diversity when providing services, responding to requests, recognizing and releasing preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals.
- Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organization mandate and its functions;
- Ability to explain the ECOWAS programs and projects relevant to tasks and demonstrated understanding of data used by the department/institution/agency, including knowing where data resides in the system, the ability to see how the data in the system interrelates and how data entries and changes may impact data in other parts of the system.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS routine procedures and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to provide useful feedback when asked and to use feedback constructively when given;
- Demonstrated ability to use computers with superior word-processing skills and proficiency in the use of database (e.g. access), spreadsheets (e.g. excel), inter/intranet, email and social media;
- Tact, diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills;
- Well established time management skills with the ability to make well-considered/reasoned decisions regarding own work and to follow them through;
- Ability to use action planning skills, set priorities, develop work goals and identify the steps needed to achieve goals of relevance to own work area;
- Ability to work well and meet objectives of tasks when under pressure or when exposed to uncertainties, challenges and/or changing work environments;
- Ability to understand and contribute to team/work unit goals and plans as well as to collective decision-making.
- Ability to write accurate, clear and well-organized text;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- P1 – UA36,929.06 (USD 58,266.68)
- P2 – UA42,916.53 (USD 67,713.70)
- P3 – UA49,106.81 (USD 77,480.72)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly, attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click Here To Download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click Here For More Information
Application Deadline 11th April, 2022.