The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Officer
Job Identification: 4927
Slots: 2 Openings
Job Category: Shelter
Job Schedule: Full time
Role and Responsibilities
The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project. Use actions words such as ensure, implement or assist for the position relevant responsibilities.
Generic Responsibilities (Max 10):
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan:
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Implement delegated shelter project portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly:
- Supervise the Shelter assistants.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Support supervisors in pre-evaluation and anticipation of needs and in site supply planning,
- Under the supervision of the Shelter Coordinator and / or the shelter Programme Development Manager, initiate the drafts of technical drawings, develop Bill of Quantity and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- Assist the Shelter Coordinator in development of site planning and other related designs
- To assess the construction training needs of the community and assist in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Submit modification proposals on construction designs to improve shelter activity for unpredictable soil constraints
- Assist the shelter coordinator, to develop emergency shelter designs and organize emergency responses,
- Responsible for preparation and follow up of procurement requests and updating the procurement database.
- Work closely with logistics and community members to accurately control the quantities and qualities of materials delivered.
- Support the logistics department in planning the movement of trucks to supply shelter materials to construction sites.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with local authorities, local communities, local committees and partners as well as with all stakeholders in NRC area of intervention
- Encourage the participation of female workers in key positions in the construction/rehabilitation of community infrastructures and all shelter activities
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required
- Represent NRC in coordination meeting when delegated
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Project planning: Shelter Specialist, Shelter Coordinator, Core Competency Officers, Area Manager (AM), M&E
- Assessments: Local authorities, Shelter Specialist, Shelter Coordinator, AM, M&E
- Area operations: Field officers, Shelter Specialist, Shelter Coordinator, AM
- Staff capacity building: Shelter Specialist, Shelter Coordinator, HR Officer
- Implementation: Shelter Specialist, Shelter Coordinator, AM
Scale and Scope of Position
- Key external stakeholders the post has relationships with (e.g. UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs, civil society, governmental bodies).
- Local Authorities (LGA Chairman, Bulama), Shelter CCCM/NFIs lead and co-lead, SEMA/NEMA representatives.
- List of budgets covered by postholder, and size of budget.
- NGFM2103, NGFM2105, NGFM2016, NGFM2202.
- M&E Dashboard, GORS, Agresso, NRC Intranet.
Legal or Compliance:
- Term of employment, Code of Conduct, vendors contract.
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture.
- Knowledge of the context in North-Eastern Nigeria.
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa.
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar.
- Experience household training in and infrastructure maintenance.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS and Google Earth.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- These skills, knowledge and experience are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Some knowledge of English
Behavioral Competencies (Max 6):
These personal qualities influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Planning and delivering results.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
- Handling insecure environment.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description.
- The Work and Development Plan.
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template.
- The End-term Performance Review Template.
- The NRC Competency Framework.
Deadline: 25th February, 2022 by 9:11 AM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Leave a Reply