Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu — the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Linux Support Engineer, EMEA
- This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and Customer Success to build a career with Canonical and drive the success with those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products.
- If you have an affinity for open source development and a passion for technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
What is a Linux Support Engineer?
- We solve challenging technical problems. From not-seen-before kernel crashes to configuration issues to root cause analysis, we provide an expert level of support and satisfaction to our customers.
- We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented problem solvers with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
- Investigate issues reported by customers by doing your own research and involving others across the organisation as necessary.
- Work to resolve complex customer problems related to Canonical’s wide variety of products including Ubuntu server, Ubuntu desktop, Ubuntu cloud images, Juju, MAAS, Snaps, Landscape, Canonical’s distributions of OpenStack and Kubernetes, and more.
- Ownership of results: Ensure that each support case owned by you is handled according to our Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
- Engage directly with customers and work collaboratively by phone, ticketing system, and remote sessions to resolve their issues.
- Participate in a regular weekend working rotation.
- Contribute new knowledge base articles and maintain existing articles, ensuring shared knowledge and lessons learned are available to customers.
- Understanding Ubuntu development process to be able to set customer expectations correctly on timelines for a fix.
- Bachelor’s Degree, ideally within STEM related disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to pass a background check
- Experience supporting Linux systems including experience in:
- Virtualisation – especially with KVM or OpenStack.
- Containers – especially with Docker, LXD/LXC, or Kubernetes.
- Storage – especially with Ceph, Swift, XFS, ZFS, btrfs.
- Networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, MTU issues, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- Cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Basic reading of stack traces to be able to search for duplicates, escalate to correct team.
- Understand OS and Application level bugs and advise on next steps
- Programming fundamentals in any language.
Customer Support Experience:
- Know how to adapt your speech depending on your audience.
- Communicate clearly: setting the right expectations, providing timely status updates, and clearly explaining necessary steps.
- Not getting too attached to a technical problem to not be able to let go or see the bigger picture.
- Background check required
- 100% Work-from-home
- Learning and Development
- Competitive Salary
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Work from home – take back those commuting hours and save those vehicle/transit costs!
- Get paid to help improve open source software.
- Possibility of international travel, up to 4 weeks a year.
- Daytime working hours – keep that work/life balance.
- Swap days add schedule flexibility when needed.
- Time off for conferences.
- Talent development program.
- Initial mentoring program to bring up to speed on needed technologies.
- Additional mentoring opportunities with some of the best in Linux, OpenStack, and more.
- Study time and expenses for obtaining relevant certifications.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online