The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
The American University of Nigeria (AUN), sub partner AHNI, the prime implementer of the five years U.S Agency for International Development (USAID) funded Accelerating Control of the HIV Epidemic in Nigeria (ACE) Project in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe States, invites applications from qualified Nigerians to implement this project in the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer (ATO), Prevention Care and Treatment
Locations: Maiduguri, Borno and Yola, Adamawa
American University of Nigeria (AUN) is Africa’s premier development University. Since 2006, AUN faculty and staff have been researching and developing solutions to development and humanitarian challenges faced by Nigeria. As part of this focus, AUN is a sub-partner to AHNI on the USAID-funded five-year ACE project in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states.
Funded by the USAID and in close partnership with federal partners and the select Nigeria States (Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe), the five-year project on Accelerating Control of the HIV Epidemic in Nigeria will support the delivery of high impact HIV preventive, care and support services to populations in the Northeast of Nigeria.
- Reports to the Senior Technical Officer and with the support of the Technical Officers, the Assistant Technical Officer (ATO) PCT will provide technical, programmatic, and laboratory support to implement high-quality HIV-TB services at the state, LGA, and Community levels.
- The ATO will provide technical support to local implementing partners to ensure evidencebased identification of communities and hotspots, community entry process, and provision of quality targeted community-based HIV-TB services.
- Similarly, the ATO will provide technical assistance to the local partner to ensure correct documentation and timely reporting of high-quality data and serve as a technical liaison with the ACEBAY state offices.
- Support site-level staff (ad-hoc and GON) to conduct granular data analysis at the facility level to identify gaps, and develop and facilitate the implementation of the remediation plan. Also, Support the integration of HIV/AIDS services into routine health services including reproductive health, routinely monitor and report performance indicators and engage in quality improvement measures.
- Remain informed on current programs in the field of HIV/AIDS and related developments by reviewing current literature and staying alert to any implication of such experience and research to the project implementation.
Qualifications and Requirements
- MB.BS / MD / Ph.D. or similar Degree with 1 to 3 years of relevant experience in clinical care with a sound understanding of HIV/AIDS with the provision of PMTCT, TB, and antiretroviral therapy (ART) in resource-constrained settings.
- BSc. Nursing, Public health, Pharmacy, or another closely related field with 3-5 years relevant experience or BS/BA in Statistics, Microbiology, or other relevant degrees with 5 – 7 years’ relevant experience.
- BS / BA in Statistics, Microbiology, or other relevant degrees with 5 – 7 years of relevant experience.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable. Also, experience in PEPFAR HIV-TB programming is an added advantage
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting and project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation, including government and nongovernment settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political, and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- A high degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, and welldeveloped computer and analytical skills.
Deadline: 30th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications (a file comprising of their Cover Letter addressing the candidate’s interest in the job, why he/she is a good fit, and his program-development and administration philosophies & a detailed CV including relevant experience) to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.