WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes. WaterAid has continued to advocate for the primacy of achieving WASH goals as central to delivering the SDG targets. As a leader in the WASH sector in Nigeria, we are consistently required to design and implement all our programmes in a manner that demonstrates learning and innovation in order to maximize our effectiveness and impact.
We therefore, require the services of suitable candidates to support the Nigeria country office to deliver on its mandate in the position below:
Job Title: Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Manager
Contract type: Full time, 2 years fixed term (renewable)
Reports to: Head of SPEL
Direct Reports: M&E Officers
Travel: 40% Local & International
Purpose of Role
- The primary purpose of this role is to support the implementation of WaterAid Nigeria’s country strategy by ensuring that all activities are properly included in realistic and achievable annual plans and to effectively organize monitoring of programme implementation against objectives.
- The PME Manager will also provide technical assistance to national level engagements in a bid to support implementation of the National Action Plan (NAP) especially the performance management pillar.
- The PMER manager will work in strong collaboration with programme team colleagues to ensure timely and accurate project monitoring and evaluation, quality assurance of programmes, learning and reporting.
- The role will work with programme team colleagues to develop and support the ongoing planning cycle (monthly, quarterly and annual), Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) systems, provide management information to support effective decision making, and support partners with effective planning, monitoring & evaluation systems, processes and practices.
- This position will ensure strong links between CP wide Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation and Reporting approaches link with global M&E processes.
Planning and Coordination:
- Working with the Head of Strategy, Programme Effectiveness & Learning to coordinate development and implementation of Country Programme plans and budgets in line with overall strategy
- Support the development and implementation of project level annual plans in line with budgets and programme strategy
- Provide support in conducting effectiveness review sessions
- managing the implementation process in the CP
- Support planning, implementation and review of WaterAid Programme Accountabikity Framework (PAF) and Quality Programme Standard (QPS)
- Provide technical support to national level engagements on monitoring and evaluation
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Support HSPEL to coordinate all Monitoring and Evaluation activities with support from other departments and WaterAid UK, in line with WaterAid’s frameworks.
- Support full implementation and integration of global PMER requirement and standards across all areas of WANG’s work
- Lead the conduct of periodic Post Implementation Monitoring Surveys (PIMS)
- Supervise regular data collection through implementing partners and ensure quality of the data by random verifications and validations.
- Provide technical and operational guidance/capacity strengthening to partner organizations on field monitoring, survey activities and database management in connection with WaterAid supported projects and programmes.
- Support colleagues, implementing partners and sector actors in setting performance standards and developing systems, templates, tools and other support material to facilitate performance monitoring, planning, research, outcome evaluation for the WASH sector
- Support effective reporting and timely information flow between country, regional and global levels to increase efficiency and reduce ad-hoc information requests.
- Conduct baseline surveys/ evaluations, and surveys, including engaging with consultants on analyses of results and quality of reports where required
- Record, manage and preserve monitoring and evaluation data in a safe and accessible way.
- Proactively identify and implement improvements to monitoring & evaluation systems and processes
- Coordinate the preparation and submission of all Country Programme reports, the output verification exercise and the impact assessment at the end of the programme cycle. Contribute to other reports as required.
- Proactively monitor the CP’s Country Strategy and operational plan to promote the review and achievement of the CP strategic objectives
- Promote and monitor the mainstreaming of inclusion in WaterAid’s Country Programme.
Learning & Capacity Building:
- Generate organisational learning from monitoring and evaluation activities, document lessons learnt/case studies and share organisational learning with potential audiences and users – both internal and external to promote and replicate best practices across the organisation and sector.
- Ensure colleagues are trained and competent in the use of WaterAid monitoring and reporting software. Provide advice and support to others.
- Ensure knowledgeNet, WaterAid’s library of resources is updated regularly with all relevant activities completed by the CP to maintain WaterAid Nigeria knowledge repository
- Contributing to effective learning and knowledge management in line with WaterAid’s overall approach
- Support the delivery of the country strategic objective on research, learning and documentation
- Participate in, support or lead relevant capacity building initiatives and workshops on PM&E targeting implementing partners
- University Degree in Development Studies, Research & Statistics, Economics or other relevant field
- Minimum of 8 years post NYSC experience in planning, monitoring and evaluation preferably in an NGO setting. Experience in international research or development organisation will also be considered.
- Good understanding of project planning cycle and management cycles
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Powerpoint and strong Microsoft PowerBi skills
- Strong knowledge in the development and use of software and database applications for programme monitoring & learning
- Experience with conducting data quality assurance and reviewing indicators for projects
- Good knowledge of data collection methodologies, tools and processes
- Experience in using quantitative and qualitative tools for carrying out monitoring and evaluation projects
- Skilled in analysis and visual representation. Able to analyse information and make sound conclusions and decisions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to communicate complex information clearly to others, and produce impactful reports and presentations.
- Strong hands-on development project design and management experience
- Understanding and experience of designing research projects to support monitoring, evaluation & learning
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to build relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, negotiate and influence across teams in order to achieve the best outcome.
- Proactive approach. Identifies issues and challenges, and seeks to resolve these in a timely manner.
- Strong planning and organisational skills. Driven to meet deadlines.
- Experience of building the capacity of other and facilitating learning in relation to planning, monitoring & evaluation.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- Masters Degree in Development Management, Research & Statistics or related area
- Knowledge / experience in knowledge management systems
- Experience in community-based development
- Experience of M&E in the water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH) sector.
Deadline: 12th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
- WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
- WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.