The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
The American University of Nigeria (AUN), sub partner AHNI, the prime implementer of the five years U.S Agency for International Development (USAID) funded Accelerating Control of the HIV Epidemic in Nigeria (ACE) Project in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe States, invites applications from qualified Nigerians to implement this project in the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer, Gender and Community Engagement (TO GCE)
Location: Yola, Adamawa
American University of Nigeria (AUN) is Africa’s premier development University. Since 2006, AUN faculty and staff have been researching and developing solutions to development and humanitarian challenges faced by Nigeria. As part of this focus, AU N is a sub-partner to AHNI on the USAID-funded five-year ACE project in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states.
Funded by the USAID and in close partnership with federal partners and the select Nigeria States (Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe), the five-year project on Accelerating Control of the HIV Epidemic in Nigeria, will support the delivery of high impact H IV preventive, care, and support services to populations in the Northeast of Nigeria.
- Reporting to the Senior Technical Officer (STA OR & IS), the Technical Officer Gender and Community Engagement will coordinate and lead community engagement and mobilization activities for the Project.
- He/she will support the program teams and / or Senior Technical Officer through developing in-depth knowledge of local customs and culture in respective project sites and communities.
- The TO will be responsible for implementing activities to increase community awareness and support the Senior Technical Advisor and program teams to enhance community participation and acceptability.
- Coordinate the psycho-social support and community-based education programming, and also engages in community advocacy to raise community awareness.
- Degree in Social Science, Social Work, Community Development Studies, or relevant field. An Experience in community engagement on a donor-funded project and a minimum of 3 years of relevant working experience in community engagement / child protection.
- Experience working with refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal)
- Experience in Community Based programming and Child-Friendly Spaces, experience providing counseling services that are gender-sensitive and child friendly.
- Experience in teaching is preferred, strong written and spoken English and Strong knowledge of a local language (Hausa) are desirable.
- Computer knowledge – Microsoft Word, Excel.
Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to support the application and distribution of training materials to selected beneficiaries, and support the establishment and strengthening of community-based mechanisms.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- A high degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, and well developed computer and analytical skills.
- Provide support to parent groups and caregivers by organizing and leading sessions with parents on positive parenting practices.
Deadline: 30th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications (a file comprising of their Cover Letter addressing the candidate’s interest in the job, why he/she is a good fit, and his program-development and administration philosophies & a detailed CV including relevant experience) to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.