The University of Ilorin is located in the ancient city of Ilorin, about 500 kilometres from Abuja, the Federal Capital. Ilorin, the Capital of Kwara State, is strategically located at the geographical and cultural confluence of the North and South. University of Ilorin was one of the seven institutions of higher learning established by a decree of the Federal Military Government in August, 1975. This step, taken to implement one of the educational directives of the country’s Third National Development Plan, was aimed at providing more opportunities for Nigerians aspiring to acquire university education and to generate high level man-power, so vital for the rapidly expanding economy.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
Location: Ilorin, Kwara
- The Council of the University of Ilorin hereby announces that the post of the University Librarian of the University will become vacant with effect from 12 October, 2022.
- In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act No. 11 of 1993, as amended by Act No. 25 of 1996 and the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act 2012, the Council has decided to begin the process of appointing a new University Librarian.
- The University of Ilorin Library is a second generation academic library established alongside its parent institution, the University of Ilorin, in 1975.
- The Main Library houses over 200,000 volumes of books, pamphlets, journals, theses, dissertations and government documents.
- The entire seating capacity presently stands at 4,688 comprising 2,392 in the Main Library and the remaining 2,296 across the College of Health Sciences, Law, Veterinary, Electronic Library and Branch libraries.
- The University Library operates a hybrid system with collections developed mainly along programme consideration.
- The Library Extension houses the E-Library which is about two-third of the present main Library.
- The University of Ilorin Library has on its workforce, a total of 116 staff members; 23 professionals, 71 para-professionals, 22 non-professionals.
- The University Library currently uses the KOHA software management system and has over 20,000 of its resources on Online Open Access Catalogue (OPAC). It presently subscribes to three (3) main databases namely: ProQuest, Emerald and LawScope Library online databases. In addition, other non-subscribed databases available and accessible to the user community include JSTOR, OARE, HINARI, AGORA, GOALI, ARDI and Open Access.
- The Library has an ultra-modern equipment for the digital conversion of its physical resources, towards the advancement of its content-rich and highly functional Institutional Repository.
- The University Librarian is a Principal Officer of the University, responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the administration of the University Library and co-ordination of all Library services in the University, its College, Faculties, Institutes and other teaching and research units.
- As an academic unit, the successful candidate will be expected to give both administrative and academic leadership.
Qualifications and Experience Required
The candidate shall possess the following:
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years cognate experience
- At least a Master’s Degree in Library Science
- A Doctorate Degree will be an added advantage
- Show evidence of substantial contribution to knowledge through research and scholarly publications in reputable Journals
- Candidate should have proficiency in management and administration
- Capability to initiate research
- Be knowledgeable in the application of computer to the running of a complex and modem Library operations and services
- Membership of the following professional bodies:
- Librarian Registration Council of Nigeria
- Nigeria Library Association
- The ideal candidate should have been a Deputy University Librarian or its equivalent for not less than five (5) years.
- This and other conditions of service shall be as approved for University Librarians of Federal Universities by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Governing Council of the University of Ilorin.
Condition of Service:
- The successful candidate shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years.
Deadline: 24th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a set of their credentials and thirty-five (35) typewritten copies of their Applications, giving the following information in the order listed below:
- Full Names
- Post Desired and Department
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth and State of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Current Postal Address
- Cell Phone Number
- E-mail Address
- Marital Status
- Number of Children with Names and Ages
- Institutions Attended (with dates)
- Pure Academic Qualifications (with dates)
- Professional Qualifications (with dates)
- List of Publications with Details of Title, Publishers or Journals dates and pages (where applicable)
- Working Experience (General and Specific Experience with dates)
- Details of administrative experience and service to the Community (with status and dates)
- Present Employment, Status, Salary and Employer
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Names and Addresses of Three Referees (two of whom must be professionals or authorities in relevant fields) who must be requested by the applicant to forward directly to the Registrar, confidential Reports on the applicant indicating the post desired.
Applications are to be forwarded to:
University of Ilorin,
P.M.B. 1515, Ilorin,
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.