Accion International is a global nonprofit organisation committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of or are poorly served by the financial sector. For nearly 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 160 partners in 55 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Africa Investment Officer, Venture Lab
Job ID: 2222
About Venture Lab
- Accion Venture Lab is the world’s leading seed-stage investor in fintech for the underserved, catalyzing innovation in inclusive fintech and improving the way financial services are delivered to underserved consumer and small businesses around the world. We invest capital in and provide support to innovative, scalable fintech startups that improve the reach, quality, and affordability of financial services for the underserved.
- Venture Lab is a part of Accion, a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. Created in 2012 and backed by commercial and impact investors since the launch of its third-party fund in 2019, Accion Venture Lab has deployed nearly US$40 million across 59 early-stage startups that operate in 39 countries worldwide.
- We have successfully delivered returns above benchmarks while staying true to our mission of building a financially inclusive world.
- We have done so by employing a rigorous sourcing and diligence process, investing in companies poised to take advantage of the investment themes we believe will be successful in the future, and by adding value in the form of strategic and operational support through our governance and portfolio engagement functions.
- Most importantly, we have created a model of social impact that many in our industry look to emulate. Since its inception, our companies have helped bring financial services to 37 million underserved consumers and small businesses and since our investment have gone on to raise nearly $1B in further capital to grow and scale.
- Accion Venture Lab seeks a strategic and collaborative investment professional to lead our investment work in Africa. The Investment Officer will support all aspects of Venture Lab’s work in Africa, including deal sourcing, investment analysis and diligence, transaction closing, and post-investment governance and support to portfolio companies. The role will be highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing and cutting edge fintech innovation, with a focus on social impact.
- We are looking for a person to be based ideally in Lagos (we are also open to Nairobi). The Investment Officer will report to the Managing Partner of Venture Lab and will work closely with each member of the tightly-knit Venture Lab team in various capacities, serving as a thought partner to other Investment Officers around the world and as a mentor to our Analysts and Associates.
- The ideal candidate will have relevant experience working in Africa, ideally in venture capital investing, fintech, or impact investing more broadly. The candidate should have a demonstrated passion for social impact.
- Develop a strong pipeline of investment opportunities in Africa as well as build strong sourcing referral network and conduct thorough due diligence and financial analysis on prospective investees.
- Lead investment structuring, negotiation, documentation, and execution.
- Build and actively manage portfolio of investments, including representing Venture Lab on boards and providing management support to companies, including on (as applicable) finance and operating strategy, business development and lead generation, introductions/connections, fundraising support, and seeking opportunities to leverage Accion resources and expertise to benefit the investee.
- Build and manage relationships with global investors, entrepreneurs, service providers, and cross-Accion teams for deal sourcing, information/idea exchange, deal execution/co-investment, post-investment support, entrepreneurial ecosystem building, and other objectives.
- Support fundraising efforts for our next fund (AVL Fund II).
- Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparation of documents on investment status and lessons learned for Limited Partners, Accion management/staff, and other Venture Lab stakeholders.
- Represent Venture Lab publicly at conferences, events, and working groups as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree is a significant plus.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in early-stage investing, financial services, technology, management consulting, investment banking, and/or marketing – opportunity provides responsibilities scaled to experience.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and tech-enabled solutions to poverty.
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets, ideally as an entrepreneur, manager and/or principal investor.
- Experience working and/or living in Africa.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models.
- Multi-functional skill set across finance, operations, fundraising, strategy, and/or legal. Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of Accion colleagues, investors, and enterprises. Existing network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
- French language fluency, strongly preferred.
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Willingness to travel 30% or more (will be altered based on the status of pandemic-induced travel restrictions).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online