African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Country Economist Local Professional (ECVP)
Position Number: 50072425
Location: Luanda, Angola
Position Grade: LP5
- The core mandate of the Vice Presidency (ECVP) is to lead the Bank Group on prioritizing the generation, analysis, dissemination, brokering and implementation of relevant knowledge solutions in all High-5 operational priorities and the cross-cutting themes of its Ten-Year Strategy.
- Such solutions must be a clear response to priority development challenges facing regional member countries (RMCs), individually or collectively and need to involve RMCs in both the planning and implementation of the solutions.
- The solutions include: (i) research on major development issues facing Africa and their relation to global economic governance and other major global public goods; (ii) country diagnostics and future perspectives; (iii) policy dialogue and advisory services; (iv) economic, sector, and thematic knowledge work; (v) improving national and sub-regional statistical systems; (vi) preparation, design and support to implementation of public financial management and Governance operations; (vii) capacity development for policy formulation and implementation; (viii) technical assistance and advice related to RMCs’ management of natural resources; and (vii) knowledge dissemination and development of national, regional, and inter-regional knowledge networks.
- The local Country Economist will focus on effectively supporting (i) the monitoring of the economic and social situation in the country covered, (ii) economic and sector work to deepen country knowledge and, (iii) the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and other relevant documents (mid-term review, completion report, etc.).
Under the supervision and guidance of the Vice President and Chief Economist, Economics Research, Policy Dialogue and Knowledge Management, the local Country Economist will:
- Analyze the economic and financial situations of assigned Regional Member Countries, using internal and external information sources, and determine the implications for the programming and updating of Bank Group operations such as defined in the Country Strategy Paper.
- Examine the impact of Bank Group operations in the countries concerned,
- Undertake assigned Economic and Sector Work, focusing mainly on preparing papers on relevant economic and financial issues in the development process.
- Identify, prepare, evaluate and monitor the implementation of macroeconomic programmes.
- Carry out the analysis required to prepare Country Strategy Papers based on the regional member countries’ poverty reduction and growth promotion strategies and/or the Governments’ Development Agendas, and the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy and High 5s,
- Maintain effective communication with the sector departments and divisions, and other relevant units in the Bank to ensure a coordinated approach in the implementation of the Bank’s Strategy and lending operations in assigned country.
- Participate in Country Portfolio Reviews.
- Participate in the preparation and monitor implementation of measures under budget support loans in collaboration with the Governance, Economic & Financial Management Department; and in the preparation of information notes on economic reforms programs and institutional support;
- Participate in aid coordination activities with bilateral and multilateral donors with emphasis on promoting the co-financing of projects and programmes.
- Participate in country dialogue
- Participate in the preparation of annual and triennial lending programmes
- Develop and build client relations at all levels and plays a promotional role in generating new business for the Bank.
- Participate in organisational activities designed to enhance the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank such as the preparation of briefing and advisory documents.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics and other relevant fields and related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of Five (5) years of relevant experience working on African Development Issues in an international organization, national government or a reputable organization.
- Good grasp of the developing countries in general and of the country covered in particular including Lusophone countries; experience in macroeconomic management issues and the economics of development.
- Technical and quantitative skills as an applied development macroeconomist.
- Policy dialogue skills; including ability to effectively interact with national authorities and technical and financial partners on policy and aid coordination issues;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and ability to deliver results on time.
- Very good knowledge of portfolio management and demonstrated knowledge of economics and analytical skills
- Problem solving capabilities coupled to innovation skills and change management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of Portuguese.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Deadline: 16th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified local status and does not attracts international terms and conditions of employment. only nationals of angola or bank member countries who have the right to reside and work in angola will be considered for this position.
- The bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocations for the position in question.