The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor, GHSA
Job ID: R1994
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Technical Advisor (TA) supports the MTaPS Country Lead and Senior Technical Advisors to provides technical assistance to the country focusing on Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) interventions aimed at improving infection prevention and control (IPC), water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), and antimicrobial stewardship (AMS).
- S/he supports in-country teams in the design and implementation of technical activities, based on international technical guidance, ensuring their adequate contribution to achieving overarching MTaPS results.
- The TA is also responsible to collect, validate, and report indicator data and develop progress narratives as required by MTaPS and USAID.
- The TA is also responsible for the implementation and evaluation of those designated field activities such as the deployment of tools or implementation of the facility and community-based interventions.
- Under guidance from senior staff, s/he provides support to activity planning and implementation, program quality reviews, activity reporting, and knowledge management activities.
- As required, other areas of work may include activities aimed at strengthening pharmaceutical systems, supply chain management or pharmaceutical services in developing countries.
- The TA will provide support to development of a multisectoral approach to the work, involving other sectors including the animal health sector.
Technical Support (40%):
- Participate in the coordination, design and implementation of technical assistance in support of MTaPS GHSA/IPC/WASH/AMS in the country
- Conduct desk-based and/or field-based research and technical assistance activities including delivery of reports, papers, and training as designated by senior technical staff.
- Participate in the design and implementation of GHSA/IPC/AMS field assessment activities including the development of tools and implementation of data analysis plans; also assist in data interpretation and technical activity reporting.
- Support country activities under the guidance from the STA and in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Unit, in the development and implementation of portfolio specific M&E plans.
- Participate in the review of designated program documentation and activity products ensuring quality of program deliverables.
- Participate in the development of communication materials, presentations, articles, concept papers, abstracts and posters in the context of knowledge management and participate in the presentation of these products to various audiences and forums.
- Provide writing and analytical assistance as needed to produce special thematic reports and/or technical briefs documents aimed for publication.
- Attend technical and brown bag informational meetings when required and prepare related briefs for senior technical staff. Also, if required, work with senior technical staff for developing MSH proposals and new assistance projects as needed.
- Participate in other duties, as assigned.
Capacity Building (40%):
- Participate in human resource capacity assessments in the health and pharmaceutical sector and collaborate with senior technical staff and the Capacity Building and Performance Improvement Unit in the development of capacity building and training materials, and collaborate internally and externally to develop country-specific capacity building strategies and roll out plans.
- Assist the Federal Department of Health (DoH), State Departments of Health and National Programs to design and review, policies, standards, guidelines, procedures and other relevant materials
- Participate in the planning and delivery of quality pharmaceutical services and system strengthening programs aimed at building the capacity of department of health, national programs, drug regulatory authority, other pharmaceutical cadres and training institutions to strengthen containment of antimicrobial resistance in the country.
- Collaborate with stakeholders for the development, deployment and implementation of appropriate tools necessary to improve pharmaceutical management information systems and their appropriate use for decision making.
- In conjunction with country counterparts, develop/revise required training packages and materials
- Design, develop training packages, and conduct ToT exercises related to pharmaceutical management, infection prevention and control and WASH
- Facilitate AMR trainings and other capacity building exercises as planned
Monitoring and Evaluation (20%):
- In coordination with the M&E team, support the project to establish mechanisms for collecting relevant data in accordance with established indicators. Also participate in program review activities and provide adequate recommendations.
- Support project staff in the adequate documentation and dissemination of program results and lessons learned including the development and submission of abstracts and articles to scientific journals and conferences.
- Graduate Degree in a Health-related field
- Physician, nurse qualification preferred.
- Two years of relevant experience in international public health with a focus on strengthening health and/or pharmaceutical systems or disease control in developing countries.
- Specialized training and/or practical experience related to infection prevention and control (IPC), including at the health facility level, and other areas of AMR containment such as WASH and antimicrobial stewardship.
- Experience with programs supported by bilateral agencies such as USAID, CDC and international agencies such as the Global Fund, UNITAID, WHO and World Bank preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to write lucid technical reports and documents and to make presentations in English is required.
- Experience in project monitoring, evaluation, learning and research for health‐related projects.
- Competence in use of word processing programs required, and experience with spreadsheets and database applications strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English are essential
- Proficiency in any other languages of other USAID-supported countries is desired.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team spirit.
- Ability to work independently and in team
- Good judgment for decision making.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability in consensus building and constructively leading a team.
- Travel requirements 30% at national and international levels.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements.
- MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status.