Marriott International is a leading global Lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 4,100 properties in 79 countries and reported revenues of nearly $14 billion in fiscal year 2014. Its heritage can be traced to a root beer stand opened in Washington, D.C., in 1927 by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott.
Marriott has more than 361,000 people working worldwide at managed or franchised properties and corporate offices. Marriott has been consistently recognized as a top employer and for its superior business ethics. The company also manages the award-winning guest loyalty program, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® program, which together surpass 49M members.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Director – Finance & Account II
Job Number 22091498
Location: Sheraton Lagos Hotel, 30 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Lagos
Brand: Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type: Management
Job Category: Finance & Accounting
- Assists in the championing, development, and implementation of property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property employees.
- Provides financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives while maximizing the return on investment.
- In addition, assists in the creation and execution of a business plan that is aligned with the property and brand’s business strategy and focuses on the execution of financial and accounting activities and the delivery of desirable financial results.
Core Work Activities
Assisting in Strategic Planning and Decision Making:
- Develops means to improve profit, including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
- Analyzes information, forecasts sales against expenses and creates annual budget plans.
- Compiles information analyzes and monitors actual sales against projected sales.
- Analyzes differences between actual budget wages and forecasted wages for more efficient budget planning.
- Assists in identifying the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information by breaking down information or data into separate parts.
- Thinks creatively and practically to assist in the development, execution and implementation of new business plans
- Assists in the creation of the annual operating budget for the property.
- Provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost-saving and productivity opportunities for property managers.
- Assists in the implementation of a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks.
- Analyzes financial data and market trends.
- Assists in the development and implementation of a comprehensive annual business plan which is aligned with the company’s and brand’s strategic direction.
- Provides on going analytical support by monitoring the operating department’s actual and projected sales.
- Produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to changes in the business.
Leading Finance & Accounting Team:
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision-making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Communicates the strategic goals, the focus and the owner priorities to subordinates in a clear and precise manner.
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes.
- Provides excellent leadership by assigning team members and other department managers clear accountability backed by the appropriate authority.
- Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
Anticipating and Delivering on the Needs of Key Stakeholders:
- Attends meetings and communicates with the owners, understanding the priorities and strategic focus.
- Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders (owners, corporate, guests, etc.).
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviours.
- Demonstrates an understanding of cash flow and owner priorities.
- Manages communication with owners in an effective manner.
- Manages property working capital and cash flow in accordance with brand SOPs and owner requirements.
- Facilitates critique meetings to review information with the management team.
Developing and Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals:
- Ensures Profits and Losses are documented accurately.
- Monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
- Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
- Develops and supports the achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Improves profit growth in operating departments.
- Reviews audit issues to ensure accuracy.
Managing Projects and Policies:
- Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
- Reconciles balance sheet to ensure account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOPs.
- Ensures that the P&L is accurate (e.g., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts).
- Ensures compliance with management contract and reporting requirements.
- Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
- Ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities:
- Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensures new hires participate in the department’s orientation program.
- Ensures new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Creates appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
- Conduct performance review process for employees.
- Participates in hiring activities as appropriate.
Education and Experience:
- 4-year Bachelor’s Degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; 2 years similar position experience. Or
- Master’s Degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; 1-year similar position experience.
- Adaptability – Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
- Communication – Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behaviour, and models active listening to ensure understanding.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Professional Demeanor – Exhibits behavioural styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams – Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results – Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment of goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing – Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships – Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships – Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset – Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability:
- Organizational Capability – Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management – Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Learning and Applying Professional Expertise:
- Applied Learning – Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen – Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen – Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Economics and Accounting – Knowledge of P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
- Auditing and Reconciliation – The ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data, and create flow charts on main accounting and control cycles (A/R, AP, Cash) to facilitate understanding of key control points.
- General Finance and Accounting – The ability to perform bookkeeping procedures, proficiently use financial systems technology, and accurately complete general ledger entries; knowledge of database structures in order to obtain financial queries; establish Cash flow statements and cash flow forecasts with a good understanding of the financials flows and the working capital needs.
- Analysis – The ability to create and maintain spreadsheets as well as analyze and summarize financial data using appropriate financial software.
- Accounting Knowledge – Knowledge of general accounting principles and current company accounting policies and procedures. This includes general accounting and financial reporting, auditing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Accounting and Internal Control Knowledge – Knowledge of local Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (local GAAP), Marriott International Policies (MIP), and International Standard Operating Procedures (ISOPs).
- Legal – Ability to read and understand basic contract elements, e.g. royalty fees, management agreement, terms, priorities and profit distribution.
- Auditing Skills – The ability to perform auditing procedures, including the ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data.
- Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable – Knowledge of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable processes, including knowledge of sub-ledger reconciliation and controls.
- Basic Competencies – Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills – Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning – Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension – Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension – Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing – Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online