Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia – The MRC Unit The Gambia at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is one of two research units established in sub- Saharan Africa by the Medical Research Council UK and is the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s single largest investment in medical research in a low and middle income country. MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM represents a unique concentration of scientific expertise and high quality research platforms in the West African region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager, Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory / Platform
Location: Fajara, Gambia
Department: Laboratory Services
- We are looking for an experienced professional in Molecular Biology to lead our Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory at Fajara.
- The post-holder will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Molecular Diagnostics (MDx) Laboratories and supervision of staff.
- S/he will be responsible for strengthening core platform capabilities to support research through conducting existing assays to a unified standard, developing standardised protocols, training members of the laboratory and developing new tools and methods in molecular analysis to meet the needs of Research Projects.
- M.Sc in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other Biomedical Sciences from an accredited University with significant experience in Molecular biology research.
- Substantial experience of active work in a research laboratory environment.
- 5 years experience
- Demonstrated experience in current Molecular diagnostic technologies including variations of nucleic acid extraction, amplification and detection techniques. Demonstrated knowledge in assay development and optimization
- Demonstrated knowledge of molecular laboratory diagnostics of Sars-CoV-2 and other infectious pathogens.
- Experience managing a team of at least four staff.
- Experience working in Bio-safety level-3 facility.
- Demonstrated knowledge and training in GCLP implementation and ISO15189 accreditation quality standards.
- Evidence of previous publications in the area of molecular biology techniques and genotyping.
- Experience in setting up basic bioinformatics analysis and use of softwares for sequence analysis.
- Ability to supervise staff, ensuring that high standards are maintained at all times.
- Training in quality management systems and processes as they pertain to research and/or research laboratory environments.
- Knowledge of Next Generation technologies and experience managing large diagnostic data sets.
- Good budgetary and cost management skills.
Condition of Service and Salary
- The appointment is for 3 years initially and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
- The salary will be paid in Grade 2, 32 Points of MRCG at LSHTM’s payscale at a minimum net monthly salary of 72, 307 Dalasis. This converts to a take home pay of $1,440 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi / USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD figure is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff, the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
Deadline: 30th June 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below. Completed Application Forms and relevant documents should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to Download Application Form (MS Word)
- We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
- MRCG at the LSHTM is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.