Tearfund is a Christian international relief and development agency working globally to end poverty and injustice and restore dignity and hope in some of the world’s poorest communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Compliance Officer
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Group: International Group
Team: West Africa
Responsible to: Regional Director
Main Purpose of the Job
To ensure appropriate support for the region to meet the required standards in terms of compliance to Tearfund policies and procedures. This include:
- Support for country teams in region with regard to processes (Global Process Systems) and grant management and budgeting systems
- Making sure that all electronic filing of partner information is correct and up to date
- Making sure that partner records are completed correctly on the grant management system.
Position in Organisation:
- Reports to the Regional Director
- Matrix management and support from Assurance Coordinator, Operations & Support.
Tearfund’s Christian Culture
We believe that prayer and discernment is fundamental to Tearfund achieving its mission of restoring relationships, ending extreme poverty and transforming lives. As a Tearfund staff member you are expected to:
- Engage with Tearfund Prays and the Prayer hub.
- Lead or participate in spiritual sessions of prayer and biblical reflection within your group
- Be committed to Tearfund’s Mission, Values and Beliefs statement and to be actively working and living in accordance with Tearfund’s Christian beliefs and theology of mission.
- Maintain your own spiritual development, discover your gifts/callings and grow in discipleship.
- All staff are expected to live out Tearfund’s values as they represent Tearfund externally
- All post-holders are expected to fulfil their personal objectives set by their line manager, contribute to their team’s overall objectives, take responsibility for reviewing their ongoing personal development and maintain an awareness of Tearfund’s strategy.
- All Tearfund staff share responsibility to promote and maintain a strong safeguarding culture, including identifying the key actions they should take given their role and responsibilities.
Scope of Job
- Ensure that countries within the region complete compliance requirements
- Help with training requirements for each country team within the region as required for processes and systems
- Maintenance of regional filing structure
- Ensure data protection compliance with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
- Perform Anti terror checks and follow up due diligence procedures.
- Contribute to risk awareness and management.
- Support to country teams on grant making and monitoring and evaluation systems.
Duties & Key Responsibilities
- This role will work closely with both regional and country staff. They will also work closely with the Assurance and Operations Global support team. The role will be part of monthly Compliance meetings and has responsibility to share learning and challenges with other officers to come to joint solutions.
Compliance Support for Region:
- Ensures all new partners properly registered and exiting / old partners archived as requested by the Regional Director.
- Facilitates required approval processes for proposals by Regional Director in line with Global Processes.
- Monitoring and following up of action logistics for partners – giving greater visibility to high risk partners to the corporate risk register
- Follow up on documentation required (eg safeguard policies)
- Represent challenges faced by country and suggest improvements to Operations and Assurance team
- Review and follow-up on country office scorecards (challenging where needed).
- Spot checks/ verification on scoring of country office scorecard
- Submit info for Regional scorecard.
- Training and support for country office staff on compliance areas
- Training and support for the region on corporate systems
- Provide briefings to personnel on compliance
- May be required to facilitate training on safeguarding and diversity and inclusion
- Follow up to ensure all staff in region / country office complete training.
- Support for training.
Regional Filing Structure:
- Regional documentation
- Spot checks in country
- Supporting countries selected for CHS audit in filing and preparation
- Ensuring maintenance and adherence to filing structure of all compliance documents across all countries in the region.
- Ensures compliance of filing for all proposals, approvals and reports for the Region.
Counter Terror Checks:
- Complete Counter Terrorism checks using specialised software, for all partner organisations in region
- Anti Terrorism checks for new staff, partners, suppliers and sub grantees as required
- Monitor standard/enhanced due diligence procedures.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR):
- Understand GDPR issues and implication for country and region
- Spot checks on current information and whether data can be deleted
- Facilitate archiving processes.
Grant Making and Monitoring Systems:
- Monitors reporting schedule for the receipt of reports and proposals to ensure timely communication with donors and Global requirements.
- Training and support for Country staff to ensure understanding and correct usage of the grant management and budgeting systems to keep partner records up to date and facilitate prompt grant payments
- Oversight and support for management of external funding process on the grant management system
- Ensures compliant maintenance of electronic filing systems for all partnership projects in the cluster, in line with Global Processes.
- Training on new budgeting and grant management systems for regional staff and country staff
- Support to regional grant management
- Action log tracking and follow-up
- Responsible for inputting relevant data on the grant management and budgeting system and ensure that relevant documents are logged on the regional google drive, following the defined structure, following Global mandatory requirements.
- Degree or equivalent experience in Business Skills and/or Business Administration.
- Worked in compliance/assurance team
- Computerised systems experience
- Assurance of programmes and projects
- Systems and process experience.
- Giving training and support.
- Implementation of policies and processes
- Experience of relief and development.
- Financial background
- International development with partner organisations.
- Fluent French and English
- Good communication skills
- Experience of spreadsheets and different software business packages
- Able to work to deadlines and under pressure.
- Able to work to clear processes
- Able to highlight learning and remedial actions
- Able to organise own workload and use own initiative.
- Systematic and ordered.
- Able to train and build capacity of colleagues and others outside of the organisation.
- Experience in google.
- Committed Christian with a personal relationship with God
- Committed to Tearfund’s Mission, Values and Beliefs
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Able to work in a small team and support others.
- Accurate and pays attention to detail
- Customer service orientated.
Salary and benefits will be dependent on location.
Deadline: 14th July, 2022.
Potential Interview Date
18th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This is a national contract therefore, candidates must have a passport or visa evidencing their right to live and work in one of the following countries: Burkina Faso, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Liberia, or Sierra Leone.
- This is not a remote role, therefore the successful candidate will be based in one of the above Tearfund country offices in West Africa.
- The recruitment process will include specific checks related to safeguarding issues. In addition, personal identification information will be submitted against a Watchlist database to check against criminal convictions as a counter-terror measure.