African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Rural Water Security Officer – AHWS / AWF
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL4
- The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development (AHVP) is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The Complex comprises five departments:
- Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development (AHAI);
- Agriculture Finance and Rural Development (AHFR);
- Gender, Women and Civil Society (AHGC);
- Water Development and Sanitation (AHWS); and,
- Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development (AHHD).
- The complex objectives are to:
- Develop policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; and
- Develop new financing instruments.
- The Vice-President acts as the Bank’s spokesperson with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Departments / Division(s)
- The African Water Facility (AWF) is an initiative of the African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW) to mobilize resources to finance water sector facilitation and investment activities in Africa.
- The AWF was established within the context of the Africa Water Vision and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The African Development Bank hosts and manages the AWF at the request of AMCOW.
- The resources of the AWF are primarily allocated to: water resources projects and programmes focused on improving the enabling environment for sustainable national and regional water resources management, preparing projects and programmes for immediate capital investments, and providing resources for strategic and small-scale investments.
- The AWF plans, organizes and carries out activities related to projects and programs cycle activities (identification, preparation, appraisal implementation and supervision) in the above areas, in all African countries; undertakes studies on issues regarding the water sector development and related areas; provides advice and technical assistance to African countries; and ensures coordination and synergy with other partners and donors in the water and sanitation sector in Africa.
- The AWF currently manages a portfolio of projects valued at €170.5 million spread all over Africa.
- The revised AWF Phase III Strategy (2017-2025) highlights the need for strengthening Rural Water Supply and Sanitation (WASH) activities within the framework of the AWF.
- In order to ensure delivery on both urban and rural WASH strategic programmes and priorities, the AWF wishes to hire the services of a highly motivated and dynamic Rural Water Security Officer (expert) to undertake WASH functions within the expanded operations of the AWF, providing expertise in water and sanitation programmes and projects as part of the AWF annual work programmes.
- In line with the revised AWF Phase III Strategy (2017-2025), the Rural Water Security Officer will support the Facility to ensure strategic focus is given to tackling WASH challenges, taking into account the disparity that exists between rural and urban areas, building in the Bank Group’s principles of “eliminating inequalities”.
- The overarching objective of the position is to undertake work and activities that ensure that WASH receives prominence within the expanded mandate of the Facility. In collaboration with different teams within the Bank, the incumbent will work to support the effective delivery of the Facility’s WASH programmes and activities.
- Contribute to the improvement of an enabling policy and institutional environment for increased and sustained access to both urban and rural WASH services;
- Develop programme and project activities and initiatives for inclusion in the AWFs Annual Work Programming and budget,
- Promote and advocate for increased investment for urban and rural WASH, working with other members of the team to mobilize financing and addressing backlog, especially for countries in transition;
- Promote sustainability of WASH investments and services through improved operation and maintenance of WASH facilities, expansion of cross-sectoral linkages, and advocacy for improved sanitation and hygiene;
- Support activities to build sector knowledge and capacity for urban and rural WASH at country level through knowledge products for policy reforms and evidence-based decision-making
- Identify and strengthen opportunities for partnerships with stakeholders focusing on urban and Rural WASH in Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as Focal Point for rural WASH activities within AWF.
- Monitor performance, results and impacts of Rural WASH activities, in collaboration with Regional Operations Managers and Task Managers.
- Proposes measures to strengthen the rural water and sanitation sector’s contribution to the Bank’s High5.
- Support resource mobilization for WASH functions through effective and well-targeted communication and advocacy with key donors and partners.
- Synergizing and documenting health, agriculture, nutrition, economic and education outcomes and impacts in relation to water and sanitation outcomes.
- Lead and support feasibility and design studies leading to preparation of investment-ready, gender informed, climate-resilient urban and rural WASH project proposals.
- Support the process to review and incorporate urban and rural WASH functions in the Facility’s operational documents and procedures.
- Contribute to AWF goals and activities to facilitate processes leading to the mobilization of investment financing for bankable- urban and rural WASH projects.
- Provide support and guidance in the development of the Facility’s project pipeline and project appraisal to raise the rural WASH profile.
- Support countries to strengthen Operation and Maintenance of both urban and rural WASH facilities.
- Provide support to AWF in its engagement with external working groups, existing sector platforms and strategic processes focusing on WASH, to maximize impact.
- Support the preparation of knowledge products and communication materials focusing on different thematic areas of both urban and rural WASH.
- Identify platforms at various levels to facilitate exchange of knowledge on urban and rural Water Supply and Sanitation.
- Support the Facility to nurture partnerships and contribute to knowledge generation and dissemination on WASH.
- Prepare technical reports and briefing notes.
- Perform any other duties as directed by the AWF Coordinator.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- At least a Master’s Degree with specialization in Water Supply and Sanitation, or Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Rural Development, or other closely related fields.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of professional experience in the water and sanitation sector covering the full range of project cycle activities (identification, preparation, appraisal and supervision) is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years working experience in rural WASH sector in Africa in addition to other areas of experience in the water supply and sanitation sector.
- Good working knowledge of multilateral and bilateral development agencies.
- Demonstrated skills in preparation, presentation and dissemination of sector analytical and technical reports.
- Problem Solving: Maintains a creative environment amongst colleagues which encourages innovation.
- Communication: Effectively sells the organizational strategies and direction to internal and external stakeholders.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of the standard Microsoft software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and SAP; and in database management.
Deadline: 26th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online