Nuru Nigeria is a locally-led NGO that helps farmers living in extreme poverty in northeast Nigeria to build resilient farmer cooperatives. It is a developmental Organization thathelps Nigerian farmers and their families lift themselves out of extreme poverty by helping farmers move from subsistence to building thriving farmer-owned and farmer-led cooperatives.
Nuru equips local leaders with tools and knowledge to lead their communities out of extreme poverty by integrating impact programs that address the most prevalent and fundamental challenges of extreme poverty around four areas of need: Hunger, Inability to Cope with Financial Shocks, Preventable Disease, and Death, Lack of Access to Quality Education for Children. Rather than give handouts, we design training-based poverty solutions that promote self-reliance and service-mindedness to enable local leaders to continue scaling impact long after Nuru International staff has exited the project.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) Officer
Location: Michika, Adamawa
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Social Behaviour Change and Communication Officer will report to the Deputy Chief of Party and provide technical support to the field team in all key SBCC, Gender & Nutrition and WASH programmatic areas. S/he will work with the BSL team to support the implementation of all the BSL programs according to the approved work plan to ensure achievement of strategic goals and objectives.
- S/he will provide technical expertise in social behaviour change communication areas with special focus on Nutrition- food safety and utilization, Hygiene promotion- good and safe water use and hand washing behaviour along side improved health management practices.
- The Social and Behaviour Change Communication Officer role will be community based in all BSL intervention areas to promote key transformative nutrition and health awareness programs through adapting nutrition behaviour change strategies.
- Support the DCOP in the design of the BSL SBCC model and lead in the implementation of all SBCC campaign to increase farmers level of awareness on key health and nutrition behaviour change through various health and nutrition transformative practices and learning processes.
- Develop all SBCC training materials, curriculum alongside a robust messaging plan focusing of health and nutrition behaviour change while ensuring adaptability to local context using appropriate communication tools.
- Identify and establish a strong working relationship with other project partners to support the BSL SBCC campaign with the intervention communities.
- Ensure gender mainstreaming in all elements of planning and implementation of the BSL activities, communication and promotion of social inclusion/equity for all women in the intervention communities.
- Lead in the planning, coordination and implementation of cooking demonstration activities to promote improved food safety and utilization practices as well as household hygiene demonstration sessions.
- Directly responsible for the establishment of community-based caregivers’ group and conducting monthly meetings with care groups to promote improved nutrition and hygiene practices among women-pregnant and lactating mothers, young girls(adolescents), caregivers and women with children under age 5.
- Support the DCOP in a strong community advocacy engagement for SBCC activities and lead in all mobilization and periodic sensitization of community member on the BSL SBCC activities regarding health and nutrition security.
- Lead in the commemoration of global & SDG events that strongly aligns the BSL goals and objectives with special focus on food, nutrition, gender and hygiene, share learnings and developments on SBCC using various media platforms.
- Provide weekly field reports, contribute to monthly Activity Progress Reports, document and share lessons learned, success stories, community feedbacks as well as general situational awareness within the communities
- Support the Monitoring & Evaluation team to track program activities, deliver surveys, assessments and other monitoring activities to ensure that interventions are on-track for progress and increased impact.
- Actively work closely with community structures for implementation of all BSL programs through effective community mobilization and sensitization for community-led agricultural, financial inclusion, nutrition and WASH activities with focus on achieving BSL strategic objectives.
- Maintain successful relationships between the BSL project and farmer associations, community leaders, and other key stakeholders in the host community while working in the field.
- Perform any other tasks that may be assigned/instructed by the Supervisor.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Community Health, Food Science and Technology, Development Studies, Sociology, Rural Development or any related studies.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in a similar role of implementing SBCC programs with rural farmers particularly women and youths preferably in a Non-profit Organization.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and farmer training capacity with strong knowledge in SBCC, WASH, Health Education and Nutrition.
- Candidates fluent in English and Hausa are preferred with good working knowledge of Northeast Nigeria preferably, Adamawa State.
Deadline: 26th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and a Cover Letter to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.