World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant for the Review and Update of Nigeria Health Workforce Profile
Schedule: Full Time
Contractual Arrangement: External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 45 Days
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
The Nigeria Health Workforce Profile (NHWP) is a reference document given the HRH situation in Nigeria. It is designed to assist health sector managers, policy makers, partners and stakeholders in taking evidence-based decisions on the current situation and trend of health workforce in the country. It aims to reflect a comprehensive picture of the health workforce situation from both the public and private sector, the demography, HRH stock and trends, production including pre-service and in service training processes. The most important resource among the building blocks of the health system is Human Resources for Health (HRH). The management of Human Resources for Health starting with pre-service training, recruitment, deployment, in-service capacity building, retention etc, should be based on needs provided by evidence.
The NHWP was last reviewed in 2018, the data is now stale and there are recent changes in the HRH dynamics in Nigeria. It is pertinent that we review and update this data to 2021 to have a true picture of the density and distribution of health workers in the country for evidence-based decision making on HRH. It is against this backdrop that the Federal Ministry of Health requires a consultant to provide technical assistance in data collection, processing, analysis and report writing of the current health workforce profile.
Scope of Work
- Actively collaborate with the Federal Ministry of Health, Department of Health Planning, Research & Statistics, Human Resources for Health Branch to provide an inception report with work plan and timelines of engagement
- Clean up data collection tools and provide support for data collection from regulatory bodies
- Data collation, entering, checking for completeness and cleaning
- Evaluation of the 2018 Nigeria Health Workforce Profile for lessons
- Comprehensive and detailed data analysis by the consultant according to all the relevant indicators including tables, graphs, charts etc
- Data Analysis Workshop in collaboration with HRH Branch and critical stakeholders
- Production of a draft Nigeria Health Workforce Profile
- Present draft Health Workforce Profile at validation meeting and facilitate validation meeting with critical stakeholders
- Finalisation of the Health Workforce Profile with inputs, comments, suggestions, and recommendations from the validation meeting
- Production of a final version of the 2021 Nigeria Health Workforce Profile and report writing of the updated Health Workforce Profile.
- Inception report submitted to HRH branch and with plan of activities and timelines for joint approval.
- Data collection tool cleaned up preparatory to data collection and support actively provided all through data collection process.
- Data collated, entered and cleaned up for analysis
- 2018 Nigeria Health Workforce Profile evaluated
- Data fully analysed according to all the relevant indicators including tables, graphs, charts etc
- Data Analysis workshop conducted in collaboration with HRH Branch and critical stakeholders
- Draft Health Workforce Profile produced
- Draft report of Health Workforce Profile validated
- Health Workforce Profile finalised with inputs, comments, suggestions, and recommendations from the validation meeting
- A final version of the 2021 Nigeria Health Workforce Profile produced and a comprehensive consultancy report on the updated Health Workforce Profile produced and documented.
Length of Engagement:
- The Consultant will be fully engaged for 45 days.
Education Qualifications (Essential)
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medical Sciences, Social Sciences, Health Policy And Management, Medical/Bio- Statistics, ICT, Human Resource Management or related qualifications from an accredited institution.
- Professional certification and training in data analysis and report writing.
- At least 5 years previous professional experience in data analysis and report writing.
- At least 3 years’ experience working with implementing partners or donor agencies.
- At least 3 years’ experience in facilitating policy dialogue, dissemination and facilitating training/workshops.
- Knowledge of Nigerian health system and proven experience building national and sub-national capacity of government, service providers and civil society organisations.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Promoting WHO’s position in health/leadership (partnership).
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge and application skills on HRH information system and evidence generation for advocacy and policy making
- Strong use of English, ICT, and Microsoft office utilization.
Deadline: 10:59 PM: 30th September, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online