Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Reporting to: Field Coordinator
Proposed start date: November 2022
- We are currently looking to fill the role of Safety and Security Manager who will be responsible for supporting Action Against Hunger programming and minimizing safety and security risks for all Action Against Hunger staff and stakeholders in the areas of operation; ensuring that adequate and up-to-date policies and procedures are in place and known to all staff; and designing, developing and implementing high-quality safety and security trainings and capacity building for all national and international staff based in the areas of operation.
- The post holder will provide close follow-up to the safety and security situation in Action Against Hunger Offices in Sokoto and provide support to Action Against Hunger programming in the Northwest and Northcentral Nigeria.
- As determined by the Field Coordinator with technical support from the Humanitarian Access & Security Head of Department (SSCO), represent Action Against Hunger at the local/regional level to humanitarian and government representatives on safety and security-related protocols and needs.
- Develop, review and update the standard operating procedures in the area of operations and other relevant locations on a regular basis;
- Work closely with the SSCO & all other departments to implement operating procedures and contingency plans.
- Ensure that accurate, up-to-date security information is made available in appropriate and clear language to all (national and international staff) in the areas of operations.
- Participate in security meetings with different parties and organise meetings every time it is necessary (with external partners and/or Action Against Hunger staff).
- Propose security rules to mitigate the risks, these rules being specific to every activity and area of operation, and ensure their implementation;
- Collect information on security incidents in the operational areas, analyse the causes, participate in the writing of the reports, and implement the actions decided.
- Provide security support to all staff in the areas of operation (national and international staff) on all policies, procedures, guidelines, and planning for staff safety, operational security, and program continuity.
- Evaluate, review and update the plans for all Action Against Hunger premises in the areas of operations (Northwest: Sokoto offices and guesthouses).
- Conduct safety and security trainings for all staff (national and International staff) and visiting international staff, and make them aware of the security environment, procedures and rules. This training can include specific cultural norms and behaviours prevalent in the context.
- Brief and debrief staff on security matters as required.
- A University Degree or equivalent.
- A minimum of three (3) years of progressive experience in safety and security with INGOs in Nigeria is required.
- Ability to write short coherent reports on topics of security relevance;
- Existing network to influential actors in the Northwest of Nigeria (e.g. on security, political, social, cultural, and religious levels).
- Knowledge of the political and security situation in the Northwest of Nigeria;
- Fluency in English and Hausa language.
- Resident in the Northwest of Nigeria for at least 5 years.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment, taking initiative & prioritizing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience in a humanitarian/NGO context.
- Experience in dealing with Safety & Security threats in a private/non-profit organization.
- Excellent writing skills is an added advantage.
- Previous management experience, including management of multiple teams/departments, is desirable.
- Basic experience in the Nigerian Security Forces (Military and/or Police) is an added advantage.
Starting Basic Salary / Benefits
- NGN812,290 per month (excluding other benefits)
- Other benefits include but not limited to 100% health care coverage, free and direct access to Cross Knowledge e-learning platform.
Deadline: 11th October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- This is an emergency recruitment and we are looking to fill this role as soon as possible.
- Candidates available to start immediately are highly preferred.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
Leave a Reply