Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Software Engineer – Docker Images & Community
- We are building a new generation of Ubuntu-based container images to simplify open source application deployment across the world. These container images will be free to use with long term security commitments, and engineered for performance, security and usability.
- As with Ubuntu, we will work in the open and welcome community participation.
- In this role, you’ll be developing the tools, technology and community processes necessary for building this new generation of container images.
- You’ll be working with multiple teams, both inside and outside Canonical, to ensure we deliver container images with the highest quality whilst maintaining a seamless Ubuntu user experience.
- You will also be highly involved in the implementation and maintenance of the Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery automation around these container images, for which you are expected to demonstrate deep insights into container-based devops.
- You will be contributing to a fast-moving product, and thus have the chance to help steer and consolidate this new team.
- You’ll gain experience with numerous container technologies and participate in exciting and exploratory tasks, where your feedback will be critical for the decision-making process.
- As a senior engineer, you’ll be expected to have a solid software development background, allowing you to be leading junior team members, facilitating their onboarding into the team while acting as a subject-matter expert.
- Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical. This is an exciting opportunity for experienced software engineers looking for a place to leave their mark, who are passionate about shaping an open source product with the highest quality, with and for the community!
What You’ll Do
- Build robust, scalable, leading-edge container images.
- Work on automated Ci/CD processes for building, testing and publishing our container images.
- Write tools and tests for assessing security compliance and cloud-native compatibility.
- Work in Python to deliver new functionalities to our container building tools
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles by contributing directly to your team’s goals.
- Participate in strong engineering process through code and architectural review
- Provide technical feedback for the team’s decision-making process.
- Engage with the open source community as a subject-matter expert.
- Grow our knowledge base and write documentation.
- Help design new tools and products.
- Work in a collaborative, agile and globally distributted environment
- Mentor and help hiring.
- Work from home with global travel up to 15% for internal and external events.
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar Degree.
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development.
- You have experience in collaborative development.
- You have worked with CI/CD systems (e.g. Jenkins, GitHub Actions, Concourse CI, etc.).
- You have a track record of delivering timely, high quality software.
- You have experience with container images and containerised operations
- You master at least one container management/orchestration tool (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, etc.).
- You have hands-on experience with at least one public cloud (e.g. Microsoft Azure, GCP, AWS, etc.).
- You have significant experience with Python.
- You are experienced with Linux systems administration and package management.
- You are familiar with Golang.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills to convey technical concepts.
- You bring clarity to technical and engineering discussions.
- You are someone who strongly believes that sharing is caring, and knowledge is power.
What Canonical Offers
- Learning and development, with annual budget for professional development
- Annual compensation review.
- Recognition rewards.
- Annual leave.
- Priority Pass for travel.
- Work remotely with a talented, distributed global team.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online