Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Coordinator
Location: Damboa, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- The field coordinator is responsible for the overall management of MDM programs in Damboa, Borno State, Nigeria and ensure close collaboration between the logistic, medical and administrative departments and good team spirit.
- S/he will ensure smooth implementation of the projects in Damboa LGA, according to projects proposal including budget monitoring of activities, coordination with other NGOs and government bodies.
- Ensure team security and safety and compliance with security regulations for the staff under her/his own responsibility.
- Assess continuously the humanitarian and security situation in the field and timely inform the general coordinator.
- Hierarchical link: General coordinator
- Positions to be directly supervised: Health Programme Manager, M&E Supervisor, Log/Admin Manager and Humanitarian Access and Safety Officer.
- Other: S/he gets the technical support of the country coordination team that is currently based in Maiduguri
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments (program, admin / fin, logistic)
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base, and all departments
- Create/maintain a “team spirit” within the different departments and amongst the staff.
Program implementation and management:
- Good planning and implementation, create tools for use by whole team, support team communication, efficiency and effectiveness with tasks
- Continuously assess the needs & adjust the programmes to the needs in collaboration with the Coordination team including the Deputy General Coordinator in charge of Programs
- Continuously assess the needs & adjust the programmes to the needs in collaboration with the Coordination team
- Contribute to the definition / revision of MDM Nigeria strategy by providing inputs for Damboa, draw up scenarios and proposals, and support the budget creation/revision for future/new activities in collaboration with the coordination team and relevant departments
- Contribute in defining the project needs and response including the the Emergency Response Mecanism within North East.
Logistics / Finance / Administration:
- Ensure familiarity with donor compliance issues, ensuring all projects implementation in compliance with MdM procedures and donors’ guidelines
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place (with the support of Finance Co, HR Co and LogCo), maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are ca6rried out effectively and efficiently
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different departments and act as a mediator when necessary.
- Responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management at the project site in line with project proposals.
- Ensure, in coordination with the Finance Coordinator that financial needs are well planned according to activities workplan.
Human Resource Management:
- To be responsible for the well-being of all team members; conduct regular team building activities.
- Where relevant, contribute to recruitment and selection of national staff.
- Responsible for the disciplinary and grievance procedures of the team under his/her line management
- Maintain good inter-team communications, engender good team dynamics, and take suitable action when problems occur.
- Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes.
- Carry out performance review as per MdM standard requirements and procedures.
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival in the field and departing team members are debriefed.
- Responsible for capacity building and training of personnel in collaboration with all technical coordinators (Deputy General Coordinator in charge of Programs, Health Co, Pharma Co, HR Co, Finance Co, and LogCo)
- Carry out representation with other NGOs, UN agencies, local and national government bodies, traditional authorities, donors and other relevant parties.
- Participate on a regular basis to all relevant meetings and be collaborative and build a strong relationship with all partners working in the area.
- When relevant and with the General Coordinator approval, represent MdM to donors, authorities, NGOs and other parties as necessary.
Safety and Security Management:
- Ensure team security and safety in a highly changeable and volatile security environment in collaboration with the coordination team.
- Proactively monitor the political and security situation in the project areas and update the country security and liaison officer and the General Coordinator accordingly.
- Ensure that appropriate security guidelines are developed, communicated, adhered to, and regularly reviewed with the country security and liaison officer / General Coordinator accordingly.
- Ensure timely and accurate security / incident reports are sent to the country security and liaison officer / General Coordinator.
- Elaborate coordination report with the coordination team.
- Ensure regular contacts with General Coordinator.
- Participate to proposals & reports to donors.
The list of missions is not exhaustive and may be changed to reflect developments and specific needs.
Training & Experience:
- University Degree in Social or Political Sciences, Social Communication, Health Promotion or related studies
- A minimum of 5 years work experience.
- Desirable Degree in Project Management or HR Management
- Experience with a NGO working, preferably within the health sector.
- Previous experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical Framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators etc.).
- Experience of security management at the field site level.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing national and expatriate staff)
- Diplomacy, negotiation and networking skills
- Ability to work under a minimum of supervision
- Willing to live and work in challenging conditions
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities.
- Windows office package (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- English: Fluent (oral and written).
- Hausa or Arabic or Kanuri is an asset.
Deadline: 15th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment to: email@example.com using “Field Coordinator Damboa” as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications without the correct subject line stated above will not be treated.