Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Programme Coordinator is in charge of programs and is directly overseeing the implementation of MdM Nigeria’s projects activities and ensuring the overall quality and technical guidance of its programming.
- S/he ensures the integration of various program sectors / subsectors to maximize holistic programming within the scope of MdM’s institutional mandate, strategy, policies, principles, and best practices.
- S/he supports the General Coordinator in designing and rolling out the mission strategy in the country and leads on initiatives based on programmatic vision, monitor the local context and anticipate phasing out of programs if necessary.
- General Coordinator
Team under his/her direct supervision:
- Pharmacy coordinator, Meal Advisor, Grants Officer, Communication and Advocacy Advisor and Technical Advisors
- Medical Referent in HQ
- Closely works with the General Coordinator, all support department coordinators (Logistics, Finance, HR, Humanitarian Access Safety and Security Advisor) and all Field Coordinators (Maiduguri and Damboa).
Context analysis and needs assessment/mapping in cooperation with the general coordinator:
- In collaboration with the medical team, ensure a close monitoring of the humanitarian situation in Nigeria
- Responsible for the overall supervision of the Health and Nutrition Projects implemented on a mission level
- Inform on a timely basis the general coordinator about any specific situation/onset which could lead to an MdM response or adjustment of the operational approach
- Provide monthly updates on the humanitarian situation and cross-check information shared by different sources
- Be proactive in suggesting new assessments, exploration of new potential areas for intervention and new programmatic developments to adjust program portfolio to existing needs
- In case of deterioration of the humanitarian & epidemiological situation (mainly linked to new displacement of population or epidemics outbreak), coordinate the organization of ad-hoc needs assessment as well as the deployment of the MdM Team
- Support the GenCo in developing and rolling out the mission strategy based on needs analysis, actors mapping, gap analysis and understanding of MdM programmatic added value and mandate
- Contribute to redacting and updating the country policy paper
- Lead the development of a transitional strategy to shift from MdM run clinics to the support of public health sector and facilities in Borno
Coordination of the MdM program implemented in Nigeria:
- Continuously assess the humanitarian situation, share propositions of needs assessments or/and propositions of adjustment of the program to the general coordinator
- In close collaboration with the general coordinator, her/his team and HQ counterparts, lead the development of the general strategy on MdM medical activities
- Make sure the different components of the program are consistent and perfectly integrated and in link with population needs
- Support the team in the identification of partners, development of healthy partnerships, as well as capacity building
- Ensure that the implementation of the program is in line with MdM commitments (contracts with donors), inform the general coordinator of any specific difficulties
- Support the pharma team for availability of quality drugs
- Ensure proper implementation of programs and their follow-up in different aspects (logistical / procurement, administrative, human resources, finance, medical, donors)
- Ensure accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management of the program
- Monitor expenditures and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to the general coordinator and develop plans to mitigate any under or over expenditure at project level
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different staff and departments involved in the program
- Ensure the identification of funding opportunities through donor watch in Nigeria.
- Participate in grants officer recruitment and supervise her/him when she/he is recruited
- Ensure the coherence between mission’s strategy and funding opportunities identified by the Grants Officer
- Coordinate the writing of programmatic sections on donor proposals (ensuring it’s coherent with mission’s strategy), collaborating with the program field team and the Grants Officer
- Ensure the quality of program sections in donors’ reports and coordinate exchanges with HQ Health Advisor/HQ Technical Advisor
- Ensure smooth communication and collaboration with partners when included in consortium
- Take part of negotiation and discussion related to programmatic decisions with donors
- Ensure smooth communication and collaboration with partners when included in consortium.
- Support the regular update of donor mapping informed by the ambitions and outcomes articulated in the MDM Country Strategy.
- Lead the identifying and appraisal of new funding opportunities.
- Ensure the recruitment of the team and develop a positive management
- Develop individual action plans for the team under your management and carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Support team members professionally, monitor and support stress management
- Pilot the nationalization process of key staffs and develop a culture of empowerment
- Ensure and respect communication lines of the organizational chart and among the program team are respected
- Support the development of a training plan for the program team and build the program team capacity
Monitoring and reporting:
- In collaboration with the MEAL Advisor, ensure that SMART indicators are defined and collected for all reference projects
- Make sure that all needed data of the program are well collected on a monthly basis and integrated in MdM monitoring tool
- Provide technical support and guidance to the MEAL advisor regarding program integration
- Ensure that a clear and solid M&E framework is in place at mission level, with regular surveys and a robust complaint & response mechanism
- Contribute to the organization of external evaluation when requested
- Contribute to the preparation of the monthly MdM situation report
- Participate in the writing of donor’s activity reports and proposals
Meetings, coordination, and representation:
- Organize, on a regular basis, coordination meetings with the program team and ensure definition of clear action plans
- Actively participate in MdM coordination meetings and other ad hoc meetings decided by the general coordinator
- Make sure that MdM program team participates in relevant humanitarian coordination meetings (OCHA, clusters, pharma…)
- Proactively lead on external coordination with other health actors, (MoH, INGOs and UN agencies); actively build relations and establish information sharing channels to ensure MdM is well placed within the health response in Borno
- Make sure that communities understand MdM intervention, as well as their inclusion in the development of MdM strategy in Borno, and make sure that accountability mechanisms are in place
- Develop constructive collaboration with authorities, such as Ministry of Health and the State Emergency Management Agency
- Work in close collaboration with SMoH and other relevant local health authorities for smooth transition of MdM clinics to identified SMoH run public health facilities
- Medical or Public Health background
- At least 5 years of experience with a similar position
- Experience with an international NGO working in emergency contexts, managing programmes within the health sector
- Previous experience of project planning, budget holding, proposal and report writing
- Multi-sectoral or multi-grants programming management
- Experience/knowledge of the region is an asset
- Previous experience in supporting public health facilities and dealing with health authorities is a strong asset
- Plan, manage and adapt a project, including in emergencies
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (Logical framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives, and indicators etc.)
- Ability to have a global overview of a program (not only on medical plan) and develop a strategic plan
- Analyse and summarize the issues and challenges in the region
- Analyse the context and the consequences of an intervention, assess the risks and constraints, and identify priorities
- Understand and analyse the public health system, health context, health problems and data
- Create and choose appropriate indicators for the project
- Manage and follow a program budget
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing national and expatriate staff)
- Proven ability to problem solving and lead teams through very challenging situations
- Good writing and communication skills
- Diplomacy and capacity to develop and maintain a strong relation with key stakeholders
- Ability to take quick decisions according to the context in coordination with the team
- Reactivity, anticipation, and adaptability
- Capacity to take initiatives
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Ability to manage priorities effectively
- Ability to pro-actively build relations with other stakeholders
- Strong commitment to Gender Equality in health service delivery
- Capacity to work and to live in tense conditions (climate, cultural context, promiscuity, isolation)
- English fluency (oral and written)
- Knowledge in French and/or Hausa is an asset
Deadline: 15th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment to: email@example.com using “PROGRAMME COORDINATOR” as the subject of the email.
Note: Applications without the correct subject line stated above will not be treated.