Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Nurse / Midwife
Requisition ID: 2022202373
Locations: Banki, Damasak, Ngala & Bama – Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Technical Officer, Health and Nutrition Services
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and responded to the humanitarian crisis in the NE for five years.
- In anticipation of a new project, and in support of ongoing ones, FHI360 seeks an experienced Assistant Technical Officer, Nurse/Midwife to support our response to the humanitarian crisis in NE Nigeria.
- Providing nursing and midwifery care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Using your midwifery skill assist female patients in all stages of pregnancy, childbirth and post-delivery.
- He/she will also provide antenatal and postnatal advice and support to women and their families
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team of staff to provide high quality patient care to an extremely vulnerable population.
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration.
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.)
- Co-work with Community Health Extension workers and other RN/RM volunteers working within your unit, including capacity building
- Adheres to the relevant Code of conduct and ethics
- Participates in outreach and community health programs (as required)
- Participates in Continuing Professional Development (i.e. trainings, mentoring)
- Plans care of the patient in collaboration with the site doctor.
- Provision of direct nursing care i.e. Administration of IV medications, wound dressings clinical observations etc.
- Maintains all reusable equipment by cleaning and sterilizing appropriately.
- Maintain adequate and correct records of patient care including consumables & instruments utilized(if any)
- Ensure high quality Nursing and Midwifery health services at all project sites.
- Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project
- Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensures adequate infection prevention and control measures are maintained at all times.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.Sc in Nursing or Midwifery with more than 3 years post NYSC relevant experience.
- Registered Nurse or Registered Midwife with a valid practicing license is Mandatory
- Additional public health certificate or other closely related field certificates from a government – recognized institution is an added advantage.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Previous experience working in a humanitarian crisis is highly desirable.
- Do not apply if you have not completed the mandatory NYSC program.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay and rotate to any LGA within Borno state is required.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long-distance walking to distribution sites.
- Excellent spoken and written Local (Hausa, Kanuri, Fula, or any other) languages spoken in NE and fluent English languages.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience working in a clinical and maternity setting is an asset.
- Ability to prepare weekly and monthly program reports.
- Be flexible and adaptable with regard to the implementation of the daily work.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
- This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
- FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
- FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.