The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Facilities Intern
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Contract Type: Locally Engaged
Duration: 12 months (March 2023 – February 2024)
- The British Council Nigeria is the UK’s international organization for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We work in three strategic business areas: Arts, English, Education and Society. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections, and engendering trust.
- We are looking to recruit a Facilities intern to join our Facilities Team in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State Nigeria.
- The Facilities team delivers and supports the operations of the British Council through effective and efficient planning and Management of all its facilities/Resources and fleet. The team is responsible for h the core facilities day to day responsibilities for the Port Harcourt office
Duties and Responsibilities
With the support of the Facilities Manager the intern duties will include:
Facilities Services and Premises Project Delivery:
- Assist Facilities Team in-country to manage the Port Harcourt facilities/estate effectively and efficiently as defined in the Regional and Country Delivery Plans enabling delivery of all key sectors of the British Council Programme.
- Responsible for day-to-day coordination of all facilities services and project activities for the Facilities team, ensuring relevant and necessary report to the Facilities Manager
- Where appropriate, assists the Facilities with the coordination of other facilities and building improvement activities and liaise with relevant internal and external stakeholders and staff to ensure effective conclusion.
- Responsibility for the pro-active maintenance management of Port Harcourt office and compound undertaking daily checks on facilities and equipment to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintain the office and estate by ensuring security and optimum delivery of customer care services in Facilities Unit.
- Provides logistic supports to visitors coming to Port-Harcourt.
- Effective planning and management of vehicles and drivers to ensure optimum transport support for British Council operations.
- Support with management of IT.
Management and Support for the Role:
- The intern will report to the Facilities Manager based in Port-Harcourt. S/he will be expected to work closely with other members of Staff, in Port-Harcourt and key internal stakeholders such as the Country Facilities team
Essential:The ideal candidate should:
- Maximum of 4 years post-NYSC in any field of study.
- Be computer literate with proficiency in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Have an interest in Facilities management
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Have fluency in written and spoken English.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- All applicants should have a pre-existing legal status to live and work in country of application.
- The British Council will not facilitate/sponsor visa applications and work permits.
Remuneration and Benefits
- The intern will be paid equivalent N130,000 salary per month
- Health Insurance (HMO) will be provided for interns who are on 6 months or more
- Group Life Insurance will be provided for all interns during throughout the duration of their internship.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 31st December, 2022. (23:59 South Africa Time)
- This is a short-term intern position; intern roles are not a prelude to longer term employment with the organisation. If opportunities for further paid employment arise, these will be advertised and interns who apply will be considered against the same criteria as other applicants.
- Necessary adjustments will be made for staff with disability where necessary