The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gatekeeper
Job Identification: 9588
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Schedule Full time
Department: Health, Safety and Security
Reports to: HSS Officers
Supervision of: HSS Coordinator
Duration and type of contract: End of December 2023 (possibility of extension)
Background of the Position
- Gatekeepers play a crucial role in the security risk management function in NRC Country Office. They are an integral part of the protection and deterrence strategy of risk management by acting as the eye’ and barrier to deter, delay, distinguish, and detect threats that might impact NRC staff, assets, facilities and image in order to trigger an appropriate reaction.
- The Gatekeeper should possess the highest levels of integrity, alertness, and self-discipline among other qualities.
- The Gatekeeper will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, and will report directly to the HSS Coordinator and under the supervision of HSS Officer in Maiduguri.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensuring that the main gate to the NRC facility is locked at all times. The gate will only be opened when granting access to staff, visitors or vehicles in/out of the facility.
- To enforce access control procedures SOP at all-time/round the clock 24/7 within the NRC facility.
- Ensure no NRC asset or property is removed from the facility without proper documentation or approvals. Gate passes or asset removal forms will be checked where applicable.
- To patrol and protect assigned NRC property, promote and enforce safety and security and act as a visible deterrent against the irregular activity.
- protect NRC property and assets from theft, damage, trespassing or accidents
- To monitor and control the entrance and departure of staff and visitors according to the prescribed Access Control SOP.
- Prepare written reports of daily activities, observations and incidents and submit to HSS Officer
- Monitor surveillance cameras (CCTV). Respond to alarms and react in a timely manner. Any malfunction to the CCTV is reported immediately to the HSS Officer.
- Performing scheduled and random checks of designated areas throughout the facility to check for any security breaches
- The Gatekeeper will support with turning on/off the generators using timing provided by logistics or the Area Manager. Any faults on the generator will be reported to Logistic or Area Manager immediately. The Gatekeeper will only fuel the generators when expressly authorized by the Area Manager.
- At the close of business, guards will patrol the office and turn off any lights that have been left on.
- Gatekeepers will ensure that all handwashing stations at the gate are filled with clean water, and soap and that station is kept tidy.
- Safely keep any keys of other property that might be deposited in the guard’s room.
- Direct or guide visitors, once cleared to the respective office to the visited.
- To have full working knowledge of the NRC facility, and the position of various equipment such as fire extinguishers, alarms, exit gates, and generator locations. This also includes knowing the location of various offices in order to direct visitors.
- Fulfilling any other related tasks that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Minimum qualification of Secondary School Certificate (WASSCE)
- Proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Experience from working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Good communication skills in English, Hausa and Kanuri.
- Computer skills is an added advantage
- Must be honest, well-mannered and neat in appearance
- Must be an indigene of Borno State.
Deadline: 17th February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
- NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.
Leave a Reply