Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Engineering Manager, Sustaining Software Engineering – Worldwide
Employment Type: Full time
- This is an exciting opportunity for an engineering manager who is passionate about open source software, Linux and cloud computing.
- Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
- Sustaining Engineering is a critical team that resolves software bugs, code defects and other issues, from the kernel all the way up to the highest levels of the open source stack.
- This position leads one of our regional teams (EMEA, APAC, Americas) and is one of several managers, who report directly to the global Director of Sustaining Engineering.
- Our customers build large-scale mission critical infrastructure and application solutions on Ubuntu and open source from Canonical. Sustaining Engineering is at the end of the escalation path, working on solving the problem for the customer and for the benefit of the wider Open Source community.
- This team is well staffed with experts in every time zone and, while the work is always important to a customer and time is always of the essence, the team is resourced to ensure the good work-life balance and ongoing development of each team member.
- As an engineering manager in the Sustaining Engineering team, your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, making valuable contributions, and generally having a great experience at Canonical.
- Technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you are able to challenge and grow your team members.
- You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
What your day will look like
- Manage and lead a distributed team of engineers
- Hire, coach, mentor, provide feedback and career development guidance to your team
- Manage shift scheduling, measuring key performance indicators (KPIs), and training
- Support timely delivery of bug fixes, patches, and other technical solutions to address business needs in a variety of technology fields, including but not limited to Ubuntu, OpenStack, Ceph, Kubernetes, Juju & MAAS
- Demonstrate the very best of Canonical in customer interactions
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern software development practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company value
- Collaborate with other teams in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 10% for internal and external events
What we are looking for in you
- Professional software delivery experience using C, C++, Go, Java, Python, or similar
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- Leadership experience displaying ability to organise and prioritise complex problem resolution and bug fixes
- Experience with version control systems such as git
- Experience with debugging tools such as gdb, crash or other
- Demonstrated strong commitment to testing methodologies and maintainable code quality
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both verbal and written
- Experience with Linux, with a preference towards Ubuntu
- Experience with Open Source and Open Source Business Models
- People management experience in a support organisation is a strong plus
- You have interest and deep experience with three or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux – kernel or userspace, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, Go, C, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging.
What we offer you
- Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills.
- In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
- In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, please ask your Talent Partner.
- Fully remote working environment – we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Leave a Reply