Smiling Hearts Initiatives International (SHI) is a non-governmental, nonprofit organization founded in Nigeria and has been operational since 2016 as Zumunchi Hearts Initiative International before its official registration with the CAC on the 10th October 2018 as Smiling Hearts Initiative International (SHI Int.). SHI Int. is committed to immediate humanitarian relief and support to those in urgent need and also protects dignity of persons affected by natural deserter, violence crime or any other emergency. Independent, private and nonprofit, Nigerian base NGO SHI Int’l (operating under the Nigerian law) respects a strict political and religious impartiality, and operates following principles of non-discrimination, transparency, according to its core values: Compassion, Equality, Diversity, Integrity, Team Work and Responsiveness
SHI Int’l teams are devoted to supporting vulnerable communities throughout the world and accompanying them in building a better future by providing a response adapted to specific needs. We provide aid to populations affected by crisis using an approach that is local and global, multidisciplinary and adapted to each context. By ensuring the link between Emergency, Rehabilitation and Development. SHI Int’l teams guaranty that interventions made in a situation of crisis are useful and sustainable, because only long term support – by remaining in the area post emergency and involving communities – can end the poverty cycle and accompany populations on the road to better society and enhancing good development strongly focusing in the sectors of Education, Protection,WASH, CCCM, Livelihood, Health, Shelter, Psycho-social support, NFI, Food security/GFD, Community Development in the area of operations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Roving Safety and Security Officer
Locations: Maiduguri – Borno and Yobe (With frequent travel to field offices / deep field offices across Areas of operations)
Employment Type: Contract
Reports Directly To: SHI National Coordinator/ Team Lead
Works Directly With: National Coordinator, Program Managers, Team Lead, Field Team, stakeholders, and partners
Supervisory Responsibility: where applicable
General Position Summary
- Reporting to SHI Team Lead/National Coordinator the Roving Safety & Security Officer (RSSO) will be responsible for the security analysis and strategic planning support required by the team within the geographical locale in which operations are situated.
- The RSSO is responsible for ensuring security protocols are in place at the responsible field sites, maintaining security information networks and assisting all the responsible personnel in operational, programming security and liaison activities.
- The post-holder will likewise be responsible for outreach and coordination to local NGO networks, as required, to support coordinated engagement work within the relevant geographical locale.
Essential Job Functions
Security Analysis & Operational Security:
- Work with the Program Managers, Team Leader and field teams to monitor the security environment in the designated areas of Nigeria, with particular focus in the program areas of operations.
- Stay informed (through media, social media, contacts, etc.) about the safety and security situation in areas of operations on daily basis.
- Liaise with security counterparts in other parts of the state and the country to understand how security situations in other areas affect.
- Verify acquired information through secondary sources.
- Maintain regular contact with field teams about the safety and security situation in their area.
- Produce advisories, incident reports, security updates and other work products as directed by Program Manager, review and dissemination to staff.
- Produce immediate security advisories to be put out on various security channels to ensure staff safety.
- Review staff movement to the field and give advice to mitigate risks as necessary. Produce road assessments, etc. for dissemination to staff.
- In conjunction with the Program Manager, prepare and deliver relevant security trainings for relevant staff (i.e., guards, drivers, program staff, etc.)
Vehicle & Staff Tracking:
- Track vehicle movements where and when required until the safe, arrival to destination.
- Give advice regarding road movement as needed prior to movement (i.e., identifying safe areas, sharing road assessment, etc.
- Provide initial analysis of relevant security development and communicate them to the Program Manager.
- Update and disseminate Local Area Security Plans, Contingency Plans, Security Bulletin Boards, and other documents on a quarterly basis or as directed by the Program Manager to relevant staff.
- Daily check-ins and tracking with field teams on transit on mission in the field offices.
- Actively seek opportunities for formal and informal cooperation in security.
- Develop a network of relationships with peers in the humanitarian community in the field office (s) (UN, NGO, appropriate governmental offices, etc.).
- Pursue opportunities to engage others in our community in creative solutions to our security challenges through collaborative efforts.
- Any other duties which are not listed but are essential to the safety and security for SHI staff members and properties.
- Mentor staff to fulfill their Safety and Security Responsibilities at the field-level.
- Work with Head Office to include necessary safety and security information for staffs and visitors into the field office, including on arrival briefing for new and visiting staffs.
- Work with the National Coordinator/Program Manager to develop and implement security orientation for new staff and visitors.
- Work with the National Coordinator/Program Manager to identify security training needs of team members and include security awareness as an essential part of program trainings and refresher workshops.
- Assess the training needs of drivers and guards in consultation with Program Manager.
- Stay abreast of political developments and humanitarian trends in Nigeria, with an emphasis on the humanitarian crisis in the areas of operation, informing the National Coordinator/Program Manager.
- Ensuring sufficient capacity and knowledge to support policy analysis and strategic planning around the humanitarian architecture and operational issues.
- Collaborate with the National Coordinator, Program Manager, Team Leader to act as official representative at meetings with external engagement targets.
- Identify and liaise with external partners.
- Liaise with leads from relevant international coordination structures.
- Engage with peace building and resilience working groups, through calling for meetings, drafting action-oriented meeting notes, support in sourcing for presenters and developing agenda for the meetings.
- Ensure collaboration with other NGO Security Officers.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Smiling Hearts Initiatives Int. team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor of Sciences (B.Sc), Higher National Diploma (HND) in Criminology, Intelligence and Security Studies, Cyber Security. Strategic and Social Science, Masters is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years of security management experience is desired. At least 3 years of security management experience with an INGO.
- Relevant work experience in policy analysis, influence, strategic planning, communications, research, media, data gathering and/or information management
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and implement strategies with clear theories of change.
- Excellent in editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted strategic documents.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Fluency in English required, with demonstrated writing skills, ability to speak Hausa or Kanuri and any other local languages (desired but not essential).
- Computer literacy in using Microsoft Office and email/internet.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies. Good context analysis skills.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Demonstrated attentions to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work cooperatively with team members.
- Experience living and working in the Areas of Operation preferred.
- Critical to this job is the ability to carry out liaison & networking activities, think critically, keep abreast of security situations within volatile terrains, work out methods to deliver successful programs, be able to comply with Smiling Hearts Initiatives Int. donor regulations while maintaining strong cooperative relationships with other departments.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to interact effectively with all staff members and demonstrate ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and provide relevant advice and support in a fluid security environment.
- The candidate will also have to be able to demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and must be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense environment.
- Smiling Hearts Initiatives Int. Team members represent the Organization both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and SHIs’ policies, procedures, and values at all times.
Deadline: 30th March, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: SHI is an equal opportunity organization with high regards to Gender, as such qualified female candidate are highly encouraged to apply.
Leave a Reply