Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer – Shelter / Non-Food Item
Job Requisition ID: 2023200467
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job type: Full time
Supervisor: Consortium Coordinator
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through multi-sectoral interventions.
- Under the overall supervision of the Consortium Coordinator, s/he will coordinate with consortium partners in designing and implementating of activities and support the consortium partners to ensure Shelter/NFI/ activities are in line with global cluster policies and strategic directions, coordinating the operational response among all partners in the consortium.
- The Technical Officer supports the Consortium partners to enable them to respond more effectively to the needs of the affected population by ensuring a coordinated approach across sites and organizations, facilitating consortium activities and contributing to the development and maintenance of a strategic vision and program/operational work plan. They also ensure coordination on inter-sector activities and cross-cutting issues.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure a harmonized and coordinated multi-sectorial response by contributing to the development of a consortium strategy in coordination with all partners including relevant authorities.
- Contribute to consortium partners Shelter strategy development and provide input on needs and gaps to all consortium partners
- Assist in Management and implementation of soft programming aspects of the delegated projects such as distributions, beneficiary selection, trainings, within the consortium
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection Provide regular consortium progress reports to Consortium Manager
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Coordinate with consortium partners in regard to community emergency needs
- Ensure consortium partners develop and implement shelter/NFI market-based interventions in coordination with Shelter social coordinator, shelter program manager and shelter specialist
- Ensure standards and SOPs for protection and gender mainstreaming, beneficiary selection and distribution are known and applied in the field Participate with consortium partners in rapid assessments in new areas of intervention
- Record and document good practices, lesson learned and establish a database in coordination with shelter specialist and M&E to capture Shelter program performance.
- Ensure and monitor that all SNFI partners implement cluster standards and guidance across targeted sites. Ensure monitoring and evaluation of the impact of activities conducted by the cluster partners, considering
- Accountability to Affected Populations principles and mechanisms. Organize joint field missions, needs assessments and analysis among consortium partners and participate in joint inter-cluster needs assessment exercises as appropriate to ensure that identified needs, gaps and priorities are as evidence-based as possible.
- Ensure that the consortium response plan is updated regularly according to evolving needs and that it establishes indicators by which performance of the consortium can be measured; ensure inclusion of the strategy in common appeals and pooled funds mechanisms.
- Coordinate closely with all partners to collect and collate agreed upon SNFI reporting tools;ensure that the cluster has a clear Information Management strategy in place, along with adequate IM mechanisms.
- Ensure proper communication and information flow among partners. Facilitate discussion and agreement on the use of common standards and tools among cluster partners; ensure integration of cross-cutting issues, such as age, gender and environment.
- Promote awareness of and adherence to relevant policy guidelines, codes of conduct and examples of good practice by all consortium partners, taking into consideration the possible need for local adaptation both in terms of language and content.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BA / BS Degree in a relevant field such as Engineering, Architecture, Social Sciences, or others with 5-7 years experience.
- MA/MS Degree in a relevant field such as Engineering, Architecture, Social Sciences, or others with 3-5 years experience.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Experience with market-based interventions (cash and voucher)
- Experience in implementation of Multipurpose Cash Assistance is an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Professional Experience in Shelter, Non-Food Items, at a managerial level in emergency and conflict and post conflict environments;
- Has Shelter/NFI technical and managerial experience to guide and lead the Shelter/NFI project teams/partners;
- Has experience within the humanitarian architecture and with humanitarian appeals, humanitarian response plans and common humanitarian funds;
- Excellent Accuracy, Monitoring and Evaluation, Managerial and Organizational skills, and ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Flexibility, resilience and ability to deploy to deep field locations; delivers on set objectives in hardship situations.
- Works effectively with Donors, local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including relationship management, influencing skills, networking;
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office package (Office, Excel, Power Point,Outlook), internet and Email;
- Demonstrated Strong networking capacities for constructive relationships with all humanitarian actors.
- Working proficiency with relevant USAID/BHA or other applicable policies and regulations.
- Operational familiarity with international humanitarian architecture and core coordination processes for large-scale emergencies.
- Promote Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) standards and Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct.
- Excellent writing, editing, communication and presentation skills as well as familiarity with fundamentals of external communication in a humanitarian context are essential.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Ability to provide clear messages on complex issues.
- Must be articulate, professional, and able to adjust communication methods based on the audience.
- May work in insecure locations with minimal infrastructure or amenities.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment. Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
- Less than 25 %
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Leave a Reply