Cuso International is an international development organization that works to reduce poverty and
inequality through the efforts of skilled volunteers. Each year, we place volunteers from North and South America in developing countries in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Latin America. Volunteers collaborate with local partners on health, education, environment, social justice and livelihoods projects, sharing knowledge and experience to create sustainable change.
Job Title: Program Start-Up Volunteers
Cuso International – Cross River, NIGERIA
Funding Eligibility requirements
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
English reading=5, writing=5, oral=5
About Cuso International
Cuso International is an international development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of skilled volunteers. Each year, we place volunteers from North and South America in developing countries in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Latin America.
Volunteers collaborate with local partners on health, education, environment, social justice and livelihoods projects, sharing knowledge and experience to create sustainable change.
About Cuso Nigeria program office
Cuso International opened a program office in Cross River State, Nigeria in 2014. Our program currently focuses on sustainable economic growth and access to quality health services.
The volunteer’s role
Cuso International expects to secure funding to implement various projects/ programs in 2015 and onward. We are therefore looking to establish a pool of potential volunteers who will contribute to the start-up and implementation of these projects/programs. Start-up volunteers will support the development of country strategies, Logic Models (LM), and Performance Measurement Frameworks (PMF). They will also conduct research and analysis on organizational capacity, sustainable economic growth; access to quality health and other basic services as well as gender equality and social inclusion.
The volunteer will:
– Support the development of Cuso International Country Strategy and assess the capacity of selected partners to contribute to its implementation
– Support the development of country-specific Logic Model (LM) and Performance Measurement Framework (PMF) and contribute to baseline data collection efforts
– Assess the capacity of selected partners to host field volunteers and e-volunteers and develop placement documentation
– Conduct research on thematic priorities such as Sustainable Economic Growth; Access to Quality Health and other Basic Services; Gender Equality and Social Inclusion
– Review key program documents and/or provide e-volunteering support to local partners and Cuso International before and after the field placement
Essential Academic Qualifications:
University degree in Administration, Business, Social Sciences or related field
Essential Professional Background/Competencies:
– Minimum 3 years of experience in research, organizational development, project planning and management, monitoring and evaluation, preferably with community and civil society organizations, INGOs, national and local governments, or the private sector.
– National or international experience in at leats one of these sectors: sustainable economic growth, natural resource management, health and other basic services, governance, gender and social inclusion.
– Demonstrated experience leading or working in in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
– Understanding of Gender Equality and Human Rights.
– Understanding of participatory approaches to development.
Desirable Academic Qualifications:
M.A. in Administration, Business, Social Sciences, etc.
Training and financial support
• Training and Financial Support: Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a modest but healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad. This includes:
– Attendance at a Cuso International assessment day (candidates must cover the first $150 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs)
– Travel and accommodation costs associated with pre-departure training
Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency)
– Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and comprehensive health insurance
– Accommodation while overseas
– A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed
– Quarterly payments to support you in your placement
– Modest support for accompanying partners
– For placements requiring Spanish language, substantive in-country language training is provided for those who already have intermediate knowledge.
• Fundraising: Annually, we send about 250 volunteers internationally at a per capita cost of approximately CAD $29,000 per year. We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise a minimum of $2,000. All volunteers receive support in their fundraising efforts by a member of the resource development team to help achieve this fundraising goal over the duration of the volunteer journey.
• E-volunteering: Depending on the nature othe placement, the volunteer might be required to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.
How to Apply