Business Development Manager at Ubongo May, 2015
Job Title: BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
At Ubongo, we entertain kids in Africa to learn and love learning. Our interactive edu-cartoons are watched by over a million a half families in East Africa, and we’re expanding fast! We produce the hit TV edu-cartoon Ubongo Kids, which teaches math and science through fun, animated stories and catchy original songs. Viewers can interact with the show from basic mobile phones, answering questions while they watch and getting encouragement from their favorite cartoon characters.
We are growing rapidly, with a new series in development and a number of Ubongo Kids spin-off products, including new mobile VAS services, eBooks, and interactive radio programs. We are looking for a BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR with extensive experience in the African media and advertising industries, particularly television. You will work closely with our passionate team in Tanzania and travel across Africa to build and maintain our relationships with broadcasters, sponsors/ advertisers and distributors.
• Take the lead on Pan-African business development with advertisers, broadcasters, and distributors in new markets across Africa. You will need to work, network and travel independently to expand the reach and impact of Ubongo’s fun learning products to millions more families in Africa.
• Work closely with CEO on strategy and implementation for Pan-African distribution, market research/ user testing, and adaptation of products for new markets.
• Build a Pan-African network of partners, agents and employees. Identify exceptional individuals and companies in each market, with whom we can work and collaborate.
• Manage relationships with our current broadcasters, partners and licensees in Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Ghana, Thailand and China.
• Negotiate contracts and partnership terms for licensing, sponsorship and distribution deals.
• Develop innovative partnership ideas and proposals for corporate sponsors and non-profit partners.Develop systems and partnerships for licensing of DVD’s, merchandise and character rights.
• Explore new revenue streams, partnerships and opportunities for expansion and spin-offs products.
• Fill in wherever else is needed! We’re a small company and everyone wears many hats! Background: Extensive experience working in TV broadcast, advertising or media sales in Sub-Saharan Africa. You will have established relationships in one or more major markets, and a deep understanding of the dynamic media landscape in Africa.
• Competitive base salary, plus commission for sales
• stock options in Ubongo
• Healthcare, social security and other benefits
• Flex-time work hours
• Help with relocation
• You get to watch cartoons at work!
Desired Skills and Experience
Desired skills and expertise
MBA or degree in marketing/ related field from a top international university Skills
Outgoing and driven, with a “never say never” attitude. Breaking into new markets and developing partnerships with the biggest broadcasters and advertisers is a tough endeavor that requires tenacity, persistence and optimism!
Passion for Ubongo’s vision of transforming the lives of the 440 million kids Africa by bringing them a fun new way to learn, that opens the door to a future of digital learning!
Fluent in English plus French, Kiswahili or other African language. Excellent writing skills. • Willingness to travel extensively and be on the road up to 75% of time for first year.
Confident working remotely and using web-based productivity tools (such as Salesforce, Google Drive and Asana, among others).
Creative, flexible, always looking to learn new skills and willing to help out in areas outside the job description.
About this company
Ubongo is a Tanzanian social enterprise that creates interactive edutainment for learners in Africa, delivered to them via the technologies they already have. We entertain kids to learn and love learning!
We produce Ubongo Kids, an interactive edu-cartooon that teaches math through fun animated stories and catchy original songs, and broadcasts on TV across East Africa. It’s watched by over 900,000 weekly viewers in Tanzania. Students can interact live via SMS, answering questions while they watch and getting personalized feedback from their favorite cartoon characters. We want to transform learning for the 440 million under 16’s in Africa by bringing them a fun new way to learn, that opens the door to a future of digital learning.
How to Apply
Click here to apply online